floyd rose moves when bending a string - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

floyd rose moves when bending a string

Hello, In my Ibanez RG550 when I bend strings the floyd rose moves back, and untunes the other strings. If I play something with loose strings and make a bending, the others strings will go down in tune. I screwed the springs in the back body, but it remained the problem.
It was told to me that this is a common problem in these guitars. Anybody can help? Thnks.

Ibanez RG550
Floyd Rose Edge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 10:19 PM

Reviews: 6
Re: floyd rose moves when bending a string

There's not a whole lot you can do, you can buy a tremsetter. It's a device that attaches to the springs that balance the trem. An other thing you could try is tightening the springs a little. If you've never done this before you might want to take it to someone with experience. If it only moves a little and you can still hit the note you want when you bend the string then don't even worry about it. If you do want to try adjusting the springs. Remember a little goes a long way.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 11:38 PM

Hi Bujecas. As Jemweilder says, there's not much you can do. This is just how Floyd-Rose tremolos work. You can try adding a tremsetter (look here http://www.hipshotproducts.com/tremsetter.htm), you can get a newer Ibanez with a ZR tremolo (the bridge doesn't move when you bend strings), you can block your bridge (but then you can't do whammy stuff), or you can get a fixed bridge guitar.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 11:42 PM
Vendor

Or the simple solution is to add 2 springs and make it tougher to move the bridge.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 01:06 AM

You could also use a Tremol-no which could fix your trem and the problem!

I have one in one of my Ibanez guitars (a blue swirly one) and it is great for switching to drop-D and chugging away! and then quick as a flash (in between songs during a set) I can change it back to E!

Here is the website
www.tremolno.com

There is a thread on jemsite on it too
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 01:07 AM

there you go
http://www.jemsite.com/forums/showth...light=tremolno
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 06:14 AM Thread Starter

I've check the Tremsetter and the Tremol-No, and I think that Tremsetter fits best my needs. Am I right?
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 06:39 AM

the tremlno system looks quite good. would it work as a block so if you took all your strings off it wouldnt drop the floyd into the body???
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bujecas
I've check the Tremsetter and the Tremol-No, and I think that Tremsetter fits best my needs. Am I right?
That depends on what your needs are.

I've got one n my UV, and have a tremsetter in my 7620. The tremsetter is a spring-loated zero return point, while the Tremol-no is a way to go from a fully blocked trem, a dive only trem, and a full floating trem on the fly. Observations:

Advantages of the Tremol-No

-the tremsetter will not hold tune when you break a string. The tremol-no (if it's on) will.
-the tremsetter does not allow you to explore alternate tunings- it won't hold tune if you go to Drop-D, much less DADGAD. The tremol-no does (and ADADGAD's an awesome tuning for heavy riffing, by the way. )
-the tremsetter, if set firmly enough to allow approximately in-tune string bending (at even the firmest settings, there will be a SLIGHT detuning when you bend, although if set right it's too little for most people to pick up on), will not allow flutter, as there's a "return point" in the trem. Additionally, you'll feel a slight "catch" as you move from dive to pull back. The tremol-no, when set for full float and aligned correctly, allows full flutter and gives you a perfectly smooth trem feel - like there's nothing there.
-a tremsetter needs drilling and slight routing to install into a guitar. a Tremol-no is uninvasive. I didn't consider this a big deal until I bought a UV, at which point I was like, "Wait a second, I don't want to cut up these guitar, there are only 876 of them out there!"
-a tremol-no can be used to open a beer, in a pinch.

Advantages of a Tremsetter

-the tremsetter is "always on." with it, you can do compound bends that are to all extents and purposes still in tune, and then grab the bar and dive or pull back, or apply vibrato. With the Tremol-no, if you want to use the bar, you have to have the tremol-no set for either full float or dive only, and in both situations it will not hold compound bends in tune. It only takes a few seconds to switch between modes on the fly, but a few seconds is a few seconds, and you have to plan solos accordingly.
-the tremsetter is currently on the market. The tremol-no won't be widely available for, at the earliest, another few months.
-many of the Tremsetter's flaws are slightly ameliorated by the fact that you can physically remove the unit (but not the mounting hardware) from your guitar in about five seconds, without throwing the bridge out of line (assuming you were in tune to begin with and the tremsetter wasn't artificially holding it in tune). Not an option on the fly, but workable in a recording environment.

Um, that's about all that comes to mind, actually. For MY needs personally, the tremol-no owns the tremsetter. Sure, it'd be nice to be able to bend in tune and then grab the bar for vibrato, but the change in feel (and in turn the fact that with the "zero return catch" you had a harder time doing a perfectly smooth bar vibrato) was too much for me. And, honestly, if you set it for dive only, and then upped the spring tension a bit, you could set the unit up like a strat, so you can still dive, but there's enough tension on the bridge to hold the bridge in place for bending.

In summary, if you need to be able to do everything at once, don't mind drilling into your guitar, and are willing to take a slight trem performance decrease, the tremsetter's a good bet. If on the other hand you want perfect trem performance and perfect bending (plus the flexibility to explore alternate tunings without spending a hour or so adjusting your trem springs afterward), but don't necessarily need to do them together, the Tremol-No is the best bet.

DC_Mally, Kevan doesn't recommend removing ALL the strings from a guitar with the tremol-no locked down, as it'll take all the counterstresses off the device and apply stresses that it wasn't designed to take. I'm sure you could do it, but his suggestion is to always leave at least one string on.

Personally, I'd say either device is a substantial improvement over a floyd without one. You CAN learn to apply just enough pressure with your palm to the side of the trem to hold bends in tune as you play, and I did this for a while, but it's not a perfect compromise. If you need something now, grab a tremsetter - both devices are (or will be, in the case of the T-no) quite affordable. However, if your trem needs are similar to mine, the Tremol-no is definitely worth waiting for.

-D
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerealk
(a blue swirly one)
Couldn't miss another opportunity to mention your BMC, could you?
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Thnks for your extensive and helpfull explanation .
But I'm still with a doubt:
When I want to do string bending without getting the others out of tune, I have to put the tremolo-no in blocked mode? While in this mode, can I "dive" the floyd rose?
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by giannifive
..., you can get a newer Ibanez with a ZR tremolo (the bridge doesn't move when you bend strings) ...
The ZR tremolo is available separately? Can I mount it on my RG550?
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-14-2005, 03:47 AM

The tremol-no is a blocker, so no diving on the blocked mode.

ZR is not a retrofit to your RG, so no as well.

Looks like the tremsetter's your best bet, but man, good luck finding one.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-14-2005, 05:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibateur
...but man, good luck finding one.
It's dificult to find? The website has a order page...
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-14-2005, 06:49 AM
dex

It's not, just get one.
People are very confused when you say tremsetter (as Ibanez used to make their own version called "backstop" and they are quite rare) but it is the only thing to get if you want to be in tune while bending and still have a functional (although much stiffer) trem.

Another option would be to unfloat your trem (block it so that only dives are possible) and then just crank more pressure on the springs so they don't give under bends.

The TremolNo device with the optional Deep C can do that where only dives are possible but unfortunately none of the people bigging it up here will tell you that we've been waiting for it for good 2 years and it's still not available so just get a tremsetter for now.

ilia

Tags
alternate tuning , alternate tunings , fixed bridge , fixed bridge guitar , floyd rose , ibanez guitars , trem springs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode