Floyd Rose Pro question - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2004, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

Floyd Rose Pro question

Maybe Rich can help me with this...

I am about to have a Floyd Rose Pro put into a guitar by an excellent luthier in my area, but I got to wondering about the studs on a Floyd. I also have an Ibanez RG1570 and I am about to have Rich's mod done on the studs of the Edge Pro that's in that guitar so they have the set screw in them.

Do the latest Floyd Pros have the stud set screws? If not, would Rich's mod work on them too, or are the studs so different that the knives wouldn't mate up to them properly?

If I just install the Floyd Pro as is will I potentially have the sharp pitch problem after a pull up due to ovaled stud holes?

Thanks for any info!!!

Ryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2004, 10:27 PM
Vendor

If you can use the studs depends on if the thread/size of the FR studs are the same. I have no idea there. If he's that good a luthier he should be able to just install the locking stud inserts also.

Ovaling in the insert holes usually takes years and when they do tuning goes to complete crap on any touch of the bar, not just pullups.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-19-2004, 01:01 AM

I have a Floyd PRO. The Floyd studs have finer threads and is skinnier than the Ibz stud. The indentations on it's studs vs. Ibanez studs (that the knives pivot on) are too different. The Floyd's is deeper. To use the PRO Floyd with Ibz studs (if you installed Ibz anchors instead of Floyd) would not work the best. It would work but your dive and pull-up range would be less. I really wanted to use the Ibz locking studs when I installed my Floyd PRO, but after looking at the Ibz stud and how it would've fit into the Floyd pivot area I could see that it would not give the same range of motion.

But Rich's style of mod should work. It's no doubt a different size. You'd have to take a Floyd stud anchor to the hardware store (or wherever you get those flat screw in things Rich uses to butt against the bottom of the stud), to get the right size.

I locked my Floyd studs with a way i made up. When I was installing the anchors (it had the wood screw type posts before) I drilled all the way through the body. Then after the anchors and studs were in I could lock the stud by inserting another stud from the rear of the guitar, where I previously had drilled the hole all the way. Because, like the new Ibz anchors, the Floyd anchors don't have a bottom, and studs can be screwed into them from either side (or both in my case). So the rear stud can be tightened up against the bottom of the stud the Floyd is rocking on. I did it because I wanted to be able to lock & unlock them easily, for setting action and what not. Pretty crazy but it worked.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-02-2005, 11:07 PM

Re: Floyd Rose Pro question

I just received the OFR 7-string (not OFR Pro) bridge for a guitar I am building. As this is my first OFR, I was wondering about whether locking studs are as important with the OFR inserts as for the Edge series. Those of you who have them, what do you think?

Because of the stud design, it seems unlikely that a LoPro style concentric locking screw would be possible (or advisable). That pretty much leaves the option of a set screw in the bottom of the anchor to bottom against. But as Rich pointed out, that isn't much fun to adjust. I haven't measured the thread yet, but I wouldn't be suprised if it is hard to find a set screw to fit it either.

I probably won't worry about it until/unless I have a problem, but I was curious whether any of you had any problems due to the lack of locking studs. Comments?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-04-2005, 01:37 PM

The lack of locking studs is a matter of time issue. Ive you have a floyd rose equipped guitar and you use the bar alot sometime down the road the thing is more than likely going to oval the wood. the probably I would say is at least 80 to 90 % that this will happen to all heavilly played floyd rose equipped guitars at least to some extent. Having the locking studs will not only keep this from happening it will give you a bit more tuning stability, and some will even argue a little better tone. Its a good ideal to do and will only improve your floyd rose experience.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-05-2005, 07:02 PM

I agree with everything you said. However, getting locking studs on an original Floyd Rose is not obviously easy to do. The typical Edge Pro solution does not apply. I probably won't worry about it until I have an ovalling problem, if I ever do. But there are a bunch of guys around here who play OFRs, so I thought somebody may have already found an easy fix.

Tags
equipped guitar , floyd rose , floyd rose pro , locking stud , locking studs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode