Floyd Rose Problems (NOT THE USUAL CRAP!) - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-22-2003, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

Floyd Rose Problems (NOT THE USUAL CRAP!)

Hi people! I recently bought myself a 7 string ESP-M207, im a lefty so of course i took the opportunity to buy this gem...

anyways....well, when i bought it i was disappointed to find out that it had the same problems with the whammy bar as my last ESP (an M-200L)

what happens, is that when i do a dive bomb for example, all the strings go out of tune, but the G string (and the A sometimeS) tune up by like a whole step! pretty unusual methinks!

a lot of people would say those trems suck, but after i had my M200 taken to a tech, it turned into a super trem....it NEVER goes out of tune....even after extreme satriani and vai style trem brutality.

the problem was, i dont know what the tech DID!!!! and i for one dont wanna pay 50 bucks, and wait 2 months for my guitar to get set up again!!!

can someone help me please!!! THANKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-22-2003, 01:18 PM

If the strings are raising in pitch it might be something with the springs in the back.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-22-2003, 01:47 PM

If the string goes sharp after a dive, then it is getting hung up somewhere, and with no string after the saddle on a Floyd, that leaves the nut. The fact that it is the G and sometimes the A lead me to believe it, too. The middle block covers 3 strings, and sometimes the D string acts as a pivot. If you don't tighten them evenly, then the pressure is heavier on 2 strings and not the other. Depending on how the underside of the block is shaped and arched, you could be tight against the D and still loose on the A and G. If it happens again, try slacking the G tuner all the way. If the pitch drops, its not locked.

On a single locking trem that uses the ball ends on the string, the ends can get hung up at the bridge. Otherwise all sharpness after a dive bomb is at the nut.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-23-2003, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the help, ill check it out....another thing....how do the springs in the back affect the trem...i have 3 in a V formation.....does it make any difference if theyre all parallel?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-24-2003, 11:01 AM

Hardly, if at all. There's a thread somewhere around here where it's discussed I think, but it's easy enough to just try it. You might not even have to re-tune, that's how little it affects the standing tension.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-24-2003, 11:04 AM

I just did it and the "V" is just a little sharper but not much, and it felt the same. Maybe there's some placebo effects, I don't know. But to clarify, it will not affect your problem of the strings pulling sharp.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-24-2003, 11:36 AM

it could be hanging up _in_ the saddle, on the little curved surface where the string rises up from the tiny locking block. the angle of that curve is more severe on real Floyds than it is on the Ibanez trems [one reason why Floyds often break lots of strings right at the saddle].

back when i used to play original Floyds, i would lube up that curved part of the saddle under the string with some pencil lead, which is graphite, a great solid lubricant. make sure your locking nut is tight like other folks have suggested, but you might also scrape some pencil lead on the saddles and see if that helps.

Tags
ibanez trem , locking nut

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode