Floyd Rose Special or Pro as a Lo TRS-II replacement? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 7
Floyd Rose Special or Pro as a Lo TRS-II replacement?

I know that there are some other threads discussing this, but I was curious if anyone has actually done one of these particular replacements. I want an inexpensive replacement for my worn out TRS Lo-II. I scored an S470 for under $200 that is in otherwise pristine condition. The edges on the trem are pretty worn though, but I don't want to spend more on a trem than I did on the guitar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 11:57 AM

Re: Floyd Rose Special or Pro as a Lo TRS-II replacement?

You can drop in a original Lo-TRS which is MIJ, stays in tune great, is made of better metal, and has a nice big block under it....could be a low cost alternative for you. I have one in an MIJ RG470 and it works really well and stays in tune just as well as the OE on my RG570...

It has a screw in trem arm instead of the collared arm, and with a little bit of teflon tape it's much more stable. It's held up great for a 13 year old trem unit...

Here's a pic of the block on mine:

Last edited by Swirltop; 05-18-2012 at 12:12 PM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

yeah, I saw that elsewhere but it's not what I asked so it doesn't really help. thanks though.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlhamon51 View Post
yeah, I saw that elsewhere but it's not what I asked so it doesn't really help. thanks though.
You were looking for an inexpensive replacement...F me for trying to give you another alternative. Won't make the mistake of trying to help you out again
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 12:15 PM

A Special is better made than the Lo-TRS II but still a lesser quality trem. The Pro should be very expensive unless you have a source for one on the cheap. I'd personally go for a Gotoh 1996, which hits a price between the two and is just as good as an OFR.

What is your definition of an "inexpensive" replacement?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

ZR2009, that's not what I meant at all. I appreciate your advice, but finding one of those trems is nearly impossible and if I do they will be worn out already. I'm looking for something new that I can get my hands on. I didn't mean to offend you.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Gideond, I'm not looking for top of the line as I'm pretty easy on my gear and I tend to buy and sell my gear a lot as I get bored quickly. It sounds like a Special is what I want assuming it will fit (which is what I am hoping to hear). Thanks for the mention of the Gotoh as I had not seen which model # I would need. Do you have an idea where I could buy one of those? I haven't seen many places selling actual Gotohs.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 02:10 PM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390367793947...#ht_1943wt_825

I usually buy them from this seller. He's one of the lowest prices I can find and has always had excellent service. They've gone up a little in price though.

I will mention that I have swapped a Lo-TRS II in an old RG470 with the Gotoh and it drops right in. All I had to do was drill bigger holes for the new studs which are much heavier duty. Also the Gotoh is setup for a 16" radius on the saddles (I think. There is a lot of conflicting info on this) and the guitar you have has roughly 15.75" radius I believe. The Floyds are usually a 12" if I'm not mistaken. So the Gotoh will be a better match to the neck radius without having to shim the saddles on a Floyd.

Last edited by gideond; 05-18-2012 at 02:29 PM.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

Cool! Thanks for the link and the advice. I appreciate it.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 05:21 PM

Reviews: 120

Get the Gotoh. WII necks are about 16" radius, so a good pick.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

I finally decided that since the trem would be useless anyway to take my Dremel and smooth out the knife edges. Low and behold it actually works pretty darn well. Not all that noticable either. It's not perfect like a nice $300 Floyd made of steel, but at least as good as new. Thanks to all for advice.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 04:26 PM

Reviews: 1

i dropped a proper floyd original into an S370, made a helluva difference... BUT they cost more than the damn guitar...... still possibly my all time favourite trem though.... and worth every penny..... machined from steel... hardened knife edges, not a casting in sight....

(i tried to post pictures, but apparently i need higher post count..... )
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 05:03 PM

Reviews: 1

should have enough posts now.... so here's a real floyd original, in an S series....

Tags
floyd rose special , lo trs ii , pro

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode