Floyd Rose Titanium or EGS Pro Tremolo - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
Floyd Rose Titanium or EGS Pro Tremolo

I'm wondering if any of you have tryied those titanium tremolos, the Floyd Rose or the EGS Pro Temolo

http://guitarworks.thestrandbergs.co...ble-worldwide/

http://www.floydrose.com/bridges/ima...olo_kit_ti.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 04:34 PM

Reviews: 11
Re: Floyd Rose Titanium or EGS Pro Tremolo

Snake oil.

the only reason to get it would be for tone variances. Id imagine itd "ring" more, but tool grade steel (i.e. a good floyd rose), volume for volume, is much stronger then titanium, just much much heavier.

I cant see it being a cost effective improvement for any guitar. The only reason to get one is to say "I have one".
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 03:46 AM

I'm with linuxpenguin on this one.. But the strandberg looks actually quite nice.. So futuristic. I'd like try it someday, but the prices (starting at about 390 euros) is way too much for my wallet.. I'm going to stick with ofr, edge, edge pro and lo-pro edge's, as they're incredibly good trem units and can be found much cheaper (ie. I bought a Edge 7 Lo-pro for 40 euros couple of days ago.)
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, but EGS Pro is made of titanium and if you compare Floyr Rose Titanium prices with EGS Pro well there you will find that EGS is way way cheaper.

Floyd Rose Titanium = $900
EGS Pro = $500
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 04:12 PM

You could buy a new guitar for that much.

There is no point to making a bridge stringer than it is. Its snakeoil. At best you might make the bridge LIGHTER (Which is the entire point behind the EGS stuff), but by doing that you end up with more loss of vibration and more flutter in the rest of the strings as the vibration enters the bridge and its low mass offers no resistance to the creation of sympathetic vibrations and crosstalk in the bridge itself.

Net result of a very light floating bridge = Phase cancellation through crosstalk. Wolf tones might also occur as crosstalk renders certain frequencies doubled.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarBizarre View Post
You could buy a new guitar for that much.

There is no point to making a bridge stringer than it is. Its snakeoil. At best you might make the bridge LIGHTER (Which is the entire point behind the EGS stuff), but by doing that you end up with more loss of vibration and more flutter in the rest of the strings as the vibration enters the bridge and its low mass offers no resistance to the creation of sympathetic vibrations and crosstalk in the bridge itself.

Net result of a very light floating bridge = Phase cancellation through crosstalk. Wolf tones might also occur as crosstalk renders certain frequencies doubled.
Thanks for clarifying me that, so is basically useless to have one of those lightweight tremolos?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enb141 View Post
Thanks for clarifying me that, so is basically useless to have one of those lightweight tremolos?

Let me pose a question for you. Why would people spend money to make their trem heavier, and claim all the benefits of it. Then why would they claim all the benefits of the lightweight trem?

Titanium has great strenght to WEIGHT ratio. Tool grade steel is five times the strength of titanium, its just far heavier. For an item that can potentially see decades of use, I know what I would choose....

We were discussing this on rig talk. The only thing we could come up with is it may have a brighter tone? Who knows. If anyone has one, id love to hear your thoughts about it.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enb141 View Post
Yeah, but EGS Pro is made of titanium and if you compare Floyr Rose Titanium prices with EGS Pro well there you will find that EGS is way way cheaper.

Floyd Rose Titanium = $900
EGS Pro = $500
Sure, but then again I would never buy a titanium floyd rose for $900, or even 390€ either!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxpenguin View Post
Let me pose a question for you. Why would people spend money to make their trem heavier, and claim all the benefits of it. Then why would they claim all the benefits of the lightweight trem?

Titanium has great strenght to WEIGHT ratio. Tool grade steel is five times the strength of titanium, its just far heavier. For an item that can potentially see decades of use, I know what I would choose....

We were discussing this on rig talk. The only thing we could come up with is it may have a brighter tone? Who knows. If anyone has one, id love to hear your thoughts about it.
If the tone becomes brightier I don't care, the reason is because I'm also going to use stainless steel frets which make the sound brightier.

So to me Stainless steel would be a better option to normal one if:

- Last more against corrosion
- Weights less

But the only disadvantage that I see is that vibrates more so that means is less stable on tune (correct me if I'm wrong).
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 08:37 PM

Stainless steel is less strong then tool grade steel. The major benefit is corrosion resistance, but that's why the trems are plated. Cost would go up accordingly, but that's what I would choose. Stainless body, and hardened tool steel knife edges. Titanium is just percieved as "exotic" and people go crazy for it. Inconel bridge would be ASTOUNDING!

But as I said, perhaps there's some tonal "benefit" to it, but that completely counteracts the reason for the "heavy tone blocks" does it not? I think its crap, especially for the cost but that's just my opinion...
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, I'm not also agree with the skyrocket price of OFR Titanium, that's why I was thinking about EGS Pro or something just to be courious about what people has to say about it.

By the way I think nobody has EGS Pro, at least not in this forum.

Tags
egs pro tremolo , floyd rose titanium , strandberg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode