Fret Buzz from frets 11-14...? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

Fret Buzz from frets 11-14...?

And my second stupid question of the night.

Same guitar, my 7620. I don't have a ruler in the room, but i can guestimate the action- probably about 2.5 mm or so at both the 12th fret and the 24th, too close for me to eyeball a difference. This isn't THAT high, but it's by no means a "low" setup, and i've gotten my 2027 much lower than this. The problem is, though, from the 11th-14th frets, i'm getting fret buzz. The worst offender is the G string, although the D and A are also fairly prominant too, and the low E demonstrates a slight amount of buzz too. the B's and the high e are clean, near as i can tell.

My intuition is a high fret, especially as this cleans up perfectly from fret 15 on up, and fret #14 is noticeably worse than any other fret. However, that's a pretty big expendature, and it's a repair i don't knw how to do myself yet, so i thought i'd ask here to see what else the problem could be. It's not a matter of life or death, exactly, but it IS discernable through distortion (my mesa has a pretty clear voice, even with the gain up). Any thoughts? thanks,

-Drew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 10:23 PM
EKG

Possibly a low 11th fret? (If I'm reading this right )

Rich and Jeremy are usually dead on with suggestions on this subject ;-)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

Damn you're fast.

Idunno... I wouldn't think the 11th fret would affect the buzz at the 14th... Unless my understanding of the way the fretboard works is way off, which is entirely possible...

-Drew
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 10:45 PM
Vendor

Eddie's craving a McRib, ignore him.

!5th has got to be a little high in relation to 14. then again 15 through 24 could all be too high in relation. You've got to check the clearence off the top of 15, then off the top of 16 when you fret 15, and 17 when you fret 16. Unless you can find a good straight edge
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 11:54 PM
EKG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
!5th has got to be a little high in relation to 14. then again 15 through 24 could all be too high in relation. You've got to check the clearence off the top of 15, then off the top of 16 when you fret 15, and 17 when you fret 16. Unless you can find a good straight edge
Uh...yeah!....That's what I was getting at ;-)
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 11:56 PM

thats weird, i got a similar condition, but its the 13-16 frets in the high e high b and g strings of my 7620. my 2027 is soo sweet i got it way lower and no buzz. i think thats where u see the difference in the way the necks are made, its not such a major difference, i actually measured it to be just 1/32 of an inch higher than my 2027, and thats enough to make it feel weird to play and to get the buzz out. i'll live it like that cause im cheap to pay someone to fix such a minor thing.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
Eddie's craving a McRib, ignore him.

If i understood you correctly (fret a couple frets apart on either side, and see if 15 is touching the strings, then compare it from 15 as a starting point going further up and down the neck), then i am looking at a high fret. frettling 13-17, the string is dead level agaisnt the frets, but when i hold down on 15 and 19, there's the TINIEST amount of space between the G string and the fret tops- we're talking about maybe a tenth of a mm, perhaps, but i guess that's enough.

So, what options do i have here? mask it off and go nuts with steel wool to try to take the level down a few thousanths of a mm? sort of a low-tech solution, but there's nly so much you can do in a dorm room on a college budget...

I agree though, the 2027 neck is orgasmic.

-Drew
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 05:28 PM
Vendor

I'm not following that too well, but IMO you should have a mild fret level done over half scale. I could explain how to do it but from experience first time levels usually end up having to take it to a tech in the end to clean it up, so just take it to a tech to begin with
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2003, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

i had a feeling that'd be the case.

In all honesty, i might just wait until i need to get a refret done- i'm guessing this is a fairly expensive and time-consuming endeavor, and i'm rehearsng WAY too much this semester with different groups to do without my 7 for that long...

-Drew

Tags
fret buzz , fret level , steel wool

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode