Fret Buzz help - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Fret Buzz help

I just picked up 2000 S470 for $50 ....The controll cavity was smashed in. the frets were Toast, so I did a refret with some 57x110 jumbo wire from LMI. I did a level and crown three times already! Every string is fine except the low E. I cant get the action any lower than about 5/64th at the 14th fret. Even then it still buzz's. I've got no High or low frets with my fret rocker. I am certainly not an expert but I am not a novice either. I have done many refrets with out a problem. It buzz's heavily on every fret.

There are no loose frets, every one was pressed in and glued with CA....

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 05:50 PM
Sho

Re: Fret Buzz help

Check the truss rod adjustment

My low e buzzed 1/1000th almost stopped it but mine has a high fret. Still could be an issue
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

Relief in the neck doesn't seem to help much.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 06:13 PM
Vendor

Is it fret buzz or is the saddle tail buzzing? Or if you string with the ball end at the tuner some ball ends can buzz like crazy.

I'm assuming you know it's fret buzz. Did you change the string? Past that, try lowering the action. You can find a point in a lively guitar that seems to oscillate with greater amplitude that higher action, you hear the buzz pinging off 1-2 frets far worse than you will with lower action where it's hitting 4-5 frets. Worth a shot anyway.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 07:39 PM

I'd look at the bridge for answers.
It may be something to do with the saddle.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Well thanks for the help. I changed the strings with same result. From D'addario 9's to Ernie ball's. Both sets are 9-42. I just changed the low E 42 to a 43 from a set of GHS Fatties I had kicking around and it did the trick!! I have never had that happen, I thought I was going to pull my hair out. I had gone so far as to change the saddle out from an old trem I had sitting around. I still don't get whats really going on. Am I destined to use GHS Fatties from now on? What a PITA....
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 08:47 PM
Vendor

D'Ad's and EB's are buzzy strings. Metalurgy has allot to do with buzz.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

BTW...here is my set up. My own version of the SM neck jig. Works great!

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 02:49 AM

how good is your crown on the frets. That can make all the difference if the top is too wide. I dressed several different guitars and about half of them had that same problem because of the crown, so sometimes you can pull it off but it plays a huge roll in your issue. The only way to get it perfect is with a triangle jewelers file the old fashioned way.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBOrocks View Post
how good is your crown on the frets. That can make all the difference if the top is too wide. I dressed several different guitars and about half of them had that same problem because of the crown, so sometimes you can pull it off but it plays a huge roll in your issue. The only way to get it perfect is with a triangle jewelers file the old fashioned way.
Hello,
may I ask what is the "crown"? Thanks=)
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 09:58 PM

its the arc on the fret if looking down the side. If the flat spot on top of the crown (the peak of the fret) is too wide it can cause buzz or more likely bad intonation.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBOrocks View Post
its the arc on the fret if looking down the side. If the flat spot on top of the crown (the peak of the fret) is too wide it can cause buzz or more likely bad intonation.
Ha, thought that. But thank you for assuring myself.=) My luthier has nice round file (actually it copies he arc of fret), he showed me last time i visited him with my guitar for fret refinish (that crown refinish). Thanks once more.

Tags
fret , ibanez , s470

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode