Fret Buzz issue - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 05:55 AM Thread Starter

Fret Buzz issue

Hey everybody this is my first post on the forum so its a pleasure to finally be one of the gang! So heres my story. I play an ibanez RG08LTD and have had a few ibanez RG's wich i am very comfortable setting up myself to an extent. I do my own action and truss rod adjustments and have found that i am quite particular about how i like my guitar to be, i like the action as low as is possible without buzz. Now on my latest guitar i took it to the repair man to do a fret level and polish for me, as i notice that the 3rd fret high e was a dead note with the action at my prefered height. Upon collecting my guitar, i found that all he had done is raise my action to avoid the buzz, rather than actually fix the fret issues. So i took my guitar in a second time and attatched a note to it saying "i know how to adjust the truss rod/action etc i just require the actual fret to be fixed". I recieved an angry phonecall from the repair man telling me that if im going to "mess around with the guitar and screw up what hes done then theres no point in getting a proffessional to set it up". Im confused, as in my opinion and from my experience in life, anything can be fixed. When i asked him, how comes it is only buzzing in one spot then, his reply was "thats just how your guitar is, its as good as it gets". These guys make people like me feel silly for wanting action to be low..

Sorry for the long winded explanation. But id like some opinion from you guys on weather you think the guitar man was correct in what he said? The action is still (to me) higher than i would prefer, and this is only to counteract buzz from ONE fret on ONE string. Thankyou for any advice or help you can give me on this matter.

Last edited by Curtis08ltd; 12-10-2011 at 06:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 01:41 PM

Reviews: 10
Re: Fret Buzz issue

are the harmonics ok on that string i.e. when play harmonic on 5th, 7th 12th fret for example do they play fine? If not you could try adusting the saddle back or forward to see if that fixes the buzz aswell (if action height adustment hasnt worked). I know you said 'dead' note so I thought I'd suggest that.

One of my Ibanez had a dead note, it basically didnt really 'sound' when i played a particular fret, i think it was on the high e or b string around fret 15/17 (was a fwe years ago so memory a bit hazy) but adjusting the saddle by sliding it back a tiny bit fixed this.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 01:49 PM

Reviews: 10

If you have tried all that, it may sound obvious, but have you tried a new string? did you have this problem before that string was on?

Could of neck possibly warped? if truss rod adjustment cant fix then (getting way out my depth now) but you can pad out where the neck bolts into the body to adjust action gap with thin piece of plastic. Before eventhinking of going down that route I definately recommened a skilled person reply to this first lol

Rich, any ideas??
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

Thankyou for such prompt replies! I have found that rather than a buzz its more of a twang? I can adjust teh action very very low on this guitar and it still plays beautifully and buzz free.....All except that one note on the high E!! I have changed the strings once or twice since as well! I have adjusted the truss rod to give a little relief to keep the note alive, but it means i have had to compromise far more than i would like to for the sake of one note!! Such a pain! I just checked the harmonics and all of them are ringing out clear as ever!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 07:42 PM

not really an expert on this but I got a buzz on the 3 rd fret on the top 2 strings when i put 11's on my xiphos and tuned it to D standard,
was easily fixed by losening the truss rod to let the neck bow a bit more.

If it was me I would think about lightly filing the 4th fret, or tapping it with a hammer.
Maybe check it with a straight edge. Anyway I am sure you have thought about this and i think you know better than me.

Tags
action , buzz , fret , truss rod

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode