Fret falloff/fall away - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

Fret falloff/fall away

A while back there was a thread where there was a decent argument going on between Rich and this guy musikron who used to post here regarding fret falloff/fall away:

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f21/if...ut-112774.html

Rich is obviously not a proponent of this while musikron is.

Well some time back I sent my Jem FP neck to musikron. It was suffering from scarf joint shrinkage and he said he could fix it. He actually did a fantastic job fixing the neck and now it plays great. I have to leave a little more relief in it than I normally would, but it's still a great neck.

Anyway, I was just checking the setup on this guitar the other day and I noticed that he had cut some falloff into frets 21-24. Basically, the neck is completely flat in that area and the frets are dead level, but then 21 is slightly lower than 20, 22 slightly lower than 21, etc.

Honestly, I really like the frets done this way. I've noticed that this guitar sustains better and plays cleaner above the 12th fret, particularly on bends and I'm now sure this is why. The strings aren't fretting out on the last couple frets, which they have a tendency to do because there's no bow in the neck in that range.

It definitely makes the setup a little more complicated, since you have to account for the falloff in order to set string action and neck relief properly, but count me as a fan of this.

PS: this is not an endorsement for musikron. He did fantastic work on my FP neck, so I later sent him two other necks to work on. He had those necks for months, made excuses about delays, then charged me for work he didn't do. I later paid Rich to do the work musikron claimed to do on a JC neck.

Worst of all, I had dropped the necks off personally while on a business trip, in a box that was good enough to protect the necks but not suitable for shipping. When he shipped the necks back, he didn't re-box them (which I insisted on). One of the two necks was damaged in shipping (thankfully only cosmetically) and when I contacted him about it, I was of course completely ignored. DO NOT DO ANY BUSINESS WITH THIS DIRTBAG.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 12:47 PM

Re: Fret falloff/fall away

Thanks for the info on two fronts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-29-2013, 10:05 AM

Reviews: 2

I totally missed this thread before, but.............

I'm also a fan of fall-off. Your right that it DOES make setup a bit more difficult but the bonuses it gives in playability, especially from #14-up, make it worth while. The biggest difference for me seems to be on bends. I don't get choke-out with bends on a low action setup the way I do with a perfectly level fret job.

The big down-side to having it done is that you HAVE to know and trust the person doing the work. This is a process that's done by hand with no safeguards against over cutting the frets. It can be screwed up very easily in which case the whole fret job has to be started over- possibly requiring new frets wherever the fall off was done.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 08:49 AM

I too have found that falloff helps in the upper frets. I used the method described by frettech.com.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewgosline View Post
I too have found that falloff helps in the upper frets. I used the method described by frettech.com.
Can you be a bit more specific about where you found this on frettech, i have looked and cannot find anything about fret fall off.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-03-2013, 08:37 AM

frettech.com - Info and pictorials - level and crown tutorial.

Just says create angle with pieces of tape and sand away. I only did 2 pieces, though he recommends 4. I found that using 2 pieces of tape, one on the fret, and one covering the sandpaper gave me a bout .004 or fallaway from the 13th to 24th fret. I have done it to my two most recent level&crown jobs and found it works well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode