Fret Level Issue - Twisted Neck? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Fret Level Issue - Twisted Neck?

I have an RG370AHM...that I have been working on setting up for optimum playability.
I got the neck straight using a notched straightedge.
I didnt think about checking anything else since the neck straightened up perfectly.
So I went about leveling the frets as I usually do. This is where I noticed that the 1-4 frets on the bass side & the top frets on the treble side were leveling down extensively more than the middle & anywhere else. (see image, red areas)

I was thinking that maybe the neck might be slightly twisted in order for this to happen.
I'm I imagining this or has this happened to anyone else. Ive done a few refret jobs, leveling fretboards, etc...never had anything like this happen before. Im not a tech at all, just a curious do-it-yourself-er.
thanks
Attached Images
File Type: png RG370AHM_Fret Level Issue_b.png (45.5 KB, 47 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 09:52 PM

Re: Fret Level Issue - Twisted Neck?

You can see with the naked eye if the neck is twisted or not. Look at the frets through the headstock.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

No I couldn't see any twists....but it might be hard to see a few thousands of an inch twist.
I may end up pulling the frets out....surfacing the fretboard...install stainless steel frets...and then level/dress the frets.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 10:11 PM

My experience with twisted necks is different than yours. I could clearly see the twist. If it is a few thousands of an inch twist i wouldn't bother at all... although stainless steel frets sounds good
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 11:45 PM
Vendor

Indo wood is fairly wet and it can wander several ways down the neck causing some very low spots, or very high spots. The best advice is you want to analyze it to guestimate the amount of relief or backbow, or maybe even straight, you'll need to cut it to get everything true while loosing the least amount of fret. You many end up with some insanely wide crowns to deal with, but that's the nature of wet wood settling.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

I had no idea about the Indo wood having any issues. I got the guitar thru a German music store...had it shipped over here.
I wanted the guitar with the ZPS system & the different edge tremolo. In the USA they dont sell them with this setup.
So far I like the system...its different. Guitar is heavier than I expected....has an ash body.

Right now the tops of the bass side frets at the 1-4 positions are lower than the ones further up the neck due to the leveling. (0.044"....as opposed to 0.057")
It bothers me that this is the case. I can see the difference & can hear it as well...buzzing.
Maybe I was leveling the frets wrong....no idea what happened.

So I may end up checking the neck out more extensively. Take measurements, etc...then decide if its worth working on the fretboard & refret w stainless steel frets.
I'll take photos to document the process if anyone is interested.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 01:18 PM

I am just guessing here and it could be all that was said above but take a look at the fingerboard and see if there is a difference in the thickness all around.
Sometimes the twist is in the fingerboard (poorly cut or sanded) and not the neck itself.

Tags
fret level issue

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode