Fret Polish with Micro Mesh - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

Fret Polish with Micro Mesh

Hello Everyone,

I just purchased a used RG770DX. I thought I would post the fret polish process in a separate thread for an easy reference.

I know that there are many different ways to restore/polish frets but I been using micro mesh and have had great sucess and wanted to share with the community..

Don't think that polishing is just cosmetic. It also make the neck play much smoother now.. B4 it flet like someone put some maple syrup on the board....It feels awesome now..

TAPE UP Fretboard

Since my maple board has a top layer of clear I did not want to risk sanding it out the clear when polishing the frets. So I taped up the board with some good old painter's tape. I don't bother taping the board up on my rosewood or ebony boards. Stew Macs sells fret board protectors that would be really hany for this... Need to order a few of those...

BE SURE TO CLICK THE BAR AT THE TOP OF EACH PHOTO TO SEE THE FULL SIZE IMAGE.. IT REALLY MAKES A DIFFERENCE!!!!

Micro Mesh

4000, 6000, 8000, 12000... I dip the MM in soapy water to make them last longer.. You can use them dry also

4000 does most of the heavy lifting you can really see the difference just after the 4000.. (4th fret is UN-polished)

Last edited by apadua; 09-06-2011 at 07:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

Re: Fret Polish with Micro Mesh

Before and After Pics

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

Cleaned board with warm soapy water....

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 06:08 AM

Reviews: 17

Excellent tutorial mate
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 09:37 AM

You should always remove the neck from the body if possible to do fretwork. Last thing you need is grit and junk getting onto the pickups or into the electronics.

Also, the white balance on your camera is really messed up. All the pics have a very yellow tint, makes it hard to see what you're doing.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
You should always remove the neck from the body if possible to do fretwork. Last thing you need is grit and junk getting onto the pickups or into the electronics..
Good tip.. I can see myself removing the neck if was using steel wool.. But with MM I do not think it is necessary..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
Also, the white balance on your camera is really messed up. All the pics have a very yellow tint, makes it hard to see what you're doing.
Hmmm.. I just have it set to FULL AUTO for most of the shots.. The color is actaully very close to how it looks like in person..
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 05:41 PM

looks great bro ...

Tags
770dxvm , fret polish , micro mesh

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode