Fretbuzz - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-31-2004, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

Fretbuzz

Hi

I have a '02 RG270 that recently developed some seriuos fretbuzz. Everything is fine below 12th fret. 12th and above - hideuos buzz. I tried the straight edge methot and found that I have a high 20th fret.
Now, the question - how could it become high if it was fine before? And do I need a full fret level?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 05:59 AM

Mmmh, the same happened to me recently with my S270. I also suspect that I have some high frets up the neck (I haven't used the straight edge, but I can see it in plain sight, some frets are flat as an ironing board!). It did happen relatively suddenly too, and some strings are worse than others.

I would imagine that the fret can 'suddenly become high' if:

1. It has become somewhat loose

2. You tend to play a lot from frets 10-20 (which I do) and fretwear has finally appeared . I imagine this can happen somewhat suddenly: the difference between buzz or no buzz can be milimetric

3. There has been a change in temperature or humidity and it affected your truss rod.

Have you tried your truss rod? I have managed to change from unbearable fretbuzz in the upper frets to almost unbearable buzz all over the board

Well, I don't even know what I'm talking about. I'm no expert, so don't pay much attention: I just have the same problem and I'm trying to work it out. If memory serves, I think there's a pretty good tutorial on fret dressing at projectguitar.com (where you use a marker to colour your frets before sanding them to ensure they're even when you finish)

Steve Vai walks 'the fine line between pagan and christian'. I say walking the fine line between fretbuzz and playability is a much harder one!

Hope that helps
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-04-2004, 08:02 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply AirGuitarHero. After taking a closer look, I see that it is fretwear. Guess I'll have to take it to a luthier.

Tags
fret level , high frets , steve vai , truss rod , upper fret , upper frets

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

is fretbuzz ok
fretbuzz after a guitar is set up
is fretbuzz bad

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode