Göldo BackBox - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

Smile Göldo BackBox

Here's my story about this gadget. Maybe it can be of use to someone considering this type of mod. To see the story navigate your browser to:

tinyurl [dot] com [slash] nrsw44x

Sorry... I don't have permissions to post links yet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2015, 11:54 PM

Re: Göldo BackBox

Here's a pic of mine

Last edited by scorson; 07-20-2015 at 11:17 PM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2015, 03:34 AM Thread Starter

Hmmm... it seems German engineering does not have the quality it had before. Chrome coating is peeling off your unit the same way as it does on my units. I don't understand why are they making it that way. I don't need it to be shinny - I need it to work properly. This way chrome pieces are causing additional friction so it best to remove it with sand paper, and also use the lubrication once it is clean.

Worst thing is - it's not only German quality that is dropping. It is happening everywhere.... but that's another story. Luckily I was able to make it work :-)
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2015, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchi View Post
Chrome coating is peeling off your unit the same way as it does on my units.
I don't know if any chrome has come off but the discoloration on the pin IS grease that I put on years ago.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2015, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

I couldn't see it clear on your image so I assumed it was chrome coming off. I assumed wrong obviously
Anyways, lubrication seems to be the key for this device. It helps the slider move freely, without noises. It also prevents random rotation of of the tension nut when doing pull-ups. Only with lubrication I was able to get proper results.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2015, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchi View Post
Anyways, lubrication seems to be the key for this device. It helps the slider move freely, without noises. It also prevents random rotation of of the tension nut when doing pull-ups. Only with lubrication I was able to get proper results.
I agree.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015, 04:07 PM

Reviews: 2

Best trem stabilizer made thus far, owned/tried em all , stuck and sticking with "rockinger black box" (if you can't find the German name)
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015, 06:28 PM

Reviews: 10

I'd like to try one of these - but installations looks tricky
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015, 08:44 PM

It really not very hard to do, if you can setup a floating term you can fit one of these, I get one 10 years ago for my first floating try (edge3) and its still working flawlessly. In fact I found it much simpler to fit one of these than I did my tremel-no

On the subject of useful engineering for your cavity ^^ , the schaller sureclaw is a brilliant bit of kit as well.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015, 11:24 PM

This thing was a POS for me

Every time I dial in a setting it knocks itself out of place again

I tried jamming it right full of duck tape, plumbers tape, still dosent work

Finding myself a backstop
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 03:53 AM Thread Starter

For me installation was not that tricky. In fact - it was simple as I described on my blog. Tuning BackBox and making it work was a pain at first. It seemed complicated but only because of the problems described. Once I worked around those problems, tuning BackBox was also simple. In reality tuning is a simple procedure but problems I encountered made complications.

Overall, I am happy with the result :-D
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 06:49 PM

I have used all of the " stabilizers" ,....Trem-Setter, WD, Mag-Lock, Goeldo, Rockinger, ESP, Ibanez, and the best I've found is the Kahler version. They are maybe $20.00 from Wammiworld. Same principle as All the others, basically half of an Ibanez Trem-Stop. Why I don't use the others,...? With the Trem-setter you have to route a little and set up sux. Mag-lock will work for some peeps, but the detent drove me bonkers. ESP/Goeldo/Rockinger Back Box/Trem Setter/ Kahler are very similar just different places for mounting screws. They all were pretty much forced to halt sales back in the day by the holder of the patent, and I guess as long as they aren't marketing them they are not bothering them. Same Patent that forced Ibanez to stop selling the ZPS in US last year, although that's more complicated, (they actually had a licensing agreement paying patent holder $ on each unit but we're selling more units than they were paying for).

New company now selling similar unit,. Codella Guitars just began marketing their take on the Balanced Spring Tension Stabilizer.

Last edited by merman_93; 02-08-2015 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Additional details

Tags
backbox , göldo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode