G string problem, please help ! - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 07:16 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 7
Angry G string problem, please help !

My G string makes a very ugly noise and for the life of me, I can't figure out where it comes from. My guitar is a RG570 from 2001 and it is properly set up. I made a little sound clip where I play the open high E, B and G strings. You can clearly hear the difference : E and B ring out clearly whereas G has very nasty beats which makes it sound horrible. Of course, my guitar was in tune when I made this clip and the intonation is properly set up.

Here is the link to the sound clip : http://www.upload2.net/download2/0MK...oblem.WAV.html

I made this with my mp3 player so the quality is crappy, but you can still clearly hear that there is a problem with the G string.

Please help me, this problem is really ruining all my playing pleasure ;_;
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 04:28 PM

Reviews: 120
Re: G string problem, please help !

It may be that the G string isn't making proper contact over your nut at the end by the fret board.

You may want to make a small shim to sit under the nut against the fret board. It only needs to be few mm thick and about the length of the nut.

This will prop the nut up a bit by the fret board hopefully forcing the string to contact properly at the edge of the nut.

I've this same problem on one of my axes. If the shim doesn't work (It didn't quite eliminate the problem for me) you might just need to file a little bit of timber under the back end of where the nut sits to help prop the nut up higher at the front. I'll be doing this soon to fix up my problem.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your help ! The problem is also present with fretted notes, does that eleminate the possibility that problem comes from the nut ?
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 06:04 PM
Vendor

Hit the g and then put some pressure on the back half of the saddle to rule out saddle buzz.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

I did this and the problem was still here. In fact, I just noticed that the problem was present in the other strings too, but for some reason it is less noticeable when they are played open, as compared to the G string. The problem happens on some frets and not on others... and whenever the weird sound happens, I can feel with my fretting hand that the string is vibrating in anoter way : the vibration is not smooth and even like it should be.

Does the problem come the nut ? I noticed that I didn't have a shim under it (I bought it that way) could this be cause of the problem ?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 08:06 PM

Check whether the nut bolts are loose and whether the strings are contacting at the front edge of the nut.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

I tried putting a 0.5 mm shim under the nut but it didn't resolve the problem. I also tried lowering the pickups, increasing the bow of the neck but it didn't work either. I really wonder how a perfectly set up, high quality guitar can make those ugly sounds... it's really derpessing -_-

Could the problem come from the amp ? Maybe it has problems reproducing some specific frequencies or something. I'll have the possibility of testing my guitar on another amp this week end, but in the meantime please let me know if the possibiliy that the problem comes from the amp is realistic or not. By the way, my amp is a Marshall G50R CD.

Last edited by Professor Jones; 01-18-2006 at 12:33 PM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 05:07 PM

Reviews: 120

Is this problem occurring when the guitar is played acoustically as well as when plugged in? If so it's definitely not your amp.

Maybe the guitar isn't set up properly then? Did you get the set up done by a tech? If so i'd probably try someone else as a properly set up guitar shouldn't have these problems
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 11:04 AM

To my ears it sounds like a few things, the pickups magnetic field are/is grabbing the G string causing it to resonate funny frequencies, something else on the guitar is resonating with this, which sounds metallic so I would look at the trem springs, try sticking a cloth in the cavety to stop the springs vibrating, also there is a slight fret buzz also, try fretting at the last fret on the g string does the sound change?.

Try all this as it will only take a few minutes, if the sound changes at all, remember what you did, and report back, also a louse truss rod can cause this sort of thing, you do not want the truss rod bolt/nut to be loose at all.

Eddy
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 12:35 PM

I like to pull on my girlfriends g string.

Tags
fret board , fret buzz , trem springs , truss rod

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode