G string sustain - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

G string sustain

Hi guys, I wanted to know if my problem was normally found in ibanez guitars. this was my first ibanez and first pricey guitar so i have no idea.

I have an RG655 prestige bought october last year and have this problem since i got the guitar.

the G string of the guitar lacks sustain and rings horribly. The ringing characteristic was like having a bad overtones. The sustain dies suddenly unlike other strings that the sustain dies linearly.

like dinggggggggggggg then stop. unlike other strings that goes diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiingggggggggggggggggg.

when pinching harmonics then doing vibrato, the harmonic does not stay long.

im pretty sure my guitar is intonated based on the manual.

p.s. i recently noticed that E and A string also rings horribly past 12 fret.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 02:00 PM

Re: G string sustain

But have you actually checked the intonation on your g-string with a tuner? If that's the case perhaps you have a dead string... Try changing it and see if the problem remains. What kind of bridge do you have? Edge?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 06:00 PM

I had a string doing this recently and it was something about the angle of the string as it came over the saddle on the trem. I restrung it and made sure it was centered up good in the saddle when I locked it down and it made a huge difference. Thought I would mention it... worth trying before you do anything drastic.

I also had a string that got bent sharply at the 11th fret that gave me fits with weird overtones... so if you loosen your string, run it through your fingers and make sure it didn't get a crimp in it somewhere. Just something else to check.

I have also heard of people having this problem and it was something in the locking nut... Does it do it with the open string only... or with it fretted only?

Good luck... sucks to have a dead string. Especially on a nice guitar like that! I got to play a brand new one a couple weeks ago and it felt awesome.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 11:56 PM
Banned

I agree with fireeagle. Specify first if problem apears on open notes or any notes. I had been struggling with my Carvin for years, G string gave a horrible muffled tone. I changed the Schaller locking nut with a Gotoh, solved the G problem but then the same problem apeared on B,A,low E. Ended up treating the nut holes with paper and super glue.
Generally basswood + bolt on + floating trem is not exactly the best configuration to achieve sustain on the last frets, but lower frets and open notes should just ring out fine.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies guys.

@eskill
hi, yes i have checked the intonation of the string using a tuner and it is well intonated.

I dont think i have a dead strings since this happens all the time since I got the guitar. I use ernie ball 9-42 super slinkies

Yes, my rg655 has the edge trem.

@fireeagle
I have cleaned the locking nut, the trem, and the whole guitar before I installed the strings.

the g string sustain is relatively weak from 7th fret onwards compared to my second hand rg570's g string.

@panix
I guess I have to send my guitar to a luthier for that the best luthier in my country is near my placee eh.

p.s. i remember putting lubricant at the saddles everytime I changed strings. Will that be the culprit?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 02:55 PM
Banned

^^^ definitely. But could be so even without the lubricant. You might swap the suspicious saddle with a new one to see if that changes anything.
BTW Why would you lubricate the saddles in the first place?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 04:17 PM

Basswood and a floating trem should STILL give you adequate sustain, given that you're probably plugged into a high gain amp with pretty hot pickups.

How's your action? It sounds a little like the note may be choking out a little - lack of sustain, weird overtones, only happens as you get onto the higher frets... Maybe raising your action a smidgeon would get it ringing out clearly...? Also, does it continue to happen at the 24th fret? How about the 22nd or 23rd? If it's bad from 7 through 23 but comparable to the other strings at 24th, it sounds like the saddle might be too low and the string's choking a bit on the 24th fret (you could shim the saddle slightly, or just raise the overall action - if it's the saddle, I'd bet on a radius issue and the D string is choking a little, too - that or you have your low E action higher than your high E). Otherwise, if it's bad up to a point, but then good after that fret, the fret where it suddenly gets better again may be a little high.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

I dont think ill be able to do a saddle swap since no one sells them here.
I thought lubricating the saddles will contribute to tuning stability.

my guitar have somewhat high action. nearing the higher value in the manual. the problem occurs even at 24th fret.

I probably have high low E action than high E.

update: i have removed the lube on the saddles and still, no improvement.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 08:34 PM

The sustain staying bad from the 7th up to the 24ths is odd - I'd expect it to be bad on the open string and below the 7th as well - but *kind of* suggests a problem with the saddle, like there's a burr or something on the saddle and the string is vibrating against that.

It's really tough to tell from your description, though, and I'm hesitant to tell you to try anything on a problem I don't really understand, so this may be one of those times where it's worth it to bring it to a good tech.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 11:54 PM
Banned

Alright then, so try to mount G string on the B or D saddles, tune to pitch and see if problem persists.
I'd say experiment with gluing (no need for super glue just something to hold it in place) a very thin and small piece of paper on the groove on the top of the saddle where the string leaves the saddle. If that works, you have found the problem, and in this case we'll take it even further treating it with a small amount of epoxy liquid metal.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by panix View Post
Alright then, so try to mount G string on the B or D saddles, tune to pitch and see if problem persists.
I'd say experiment with gluing (no need for super glue just something to hold it in place) a very thin and small piece of paper on the groove on the top of the saddle where the string leaves the saddle. If that works, you have found the problem, and in this case we'll take it even further treating it with a small amount of epoxy liquid metal.
Thanks man. However, im still not confident in doing something to the bridge... I might bring this to a tech this week and see how it goes.

Tags
ibanez , prestige , rg655

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode