Gary Brawer setuup anyone? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

Gary Brawer setup anyone?

Has anyone else had their Chromeboy or any other guitar setup by G.B.?

I was quoted $250 to have my Chromeboy setup - just seems a little pricey.... thoughts?

Steve

Last edited by scarello; 06-20-2018 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 10:37 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Re: Gary Brawer setuup anyone?

what exactly is included for $250?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Re: Gary Brawer setup anyone?

Not exactly sure.......

He made mention he would address any popped fret ends that CB's/Ibz's can have (I've had two CB's on and one CP and a bunch of other Ibz's - never seen one popped fret end before).

And he would set it up like "Joe's" - not today's Joe D-tuned running 010's but older Joe D'Addario 009's.

Steve
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 12:52 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Re: Gary Brawer setuup anyone?

You're paying a local pro GB for a very optimal setup of a $3000 axe... including taking care of everything needed such as a few high frets which are a certainty. On that level it's a no-brainer no? People pay $350 for $950 RGs they never saw before.

My own belief is that type of setup is better in a year or two (especially in 4 season climates like here) when everything sets, the wood dries/climatizes/settles. Good luck.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 01:29 PM
Vendor

Re: Gary Brawer setup anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarello View Post
Has anyone else had their Chromeboy or any other guitar setup by G.B.?

I was quoted $250 to have my Chromeboy setup - just seems a little pricey.... thoughts?

Steve
Is this a 10th? PRM? 30th?

That's a shop setup, I love GB but he's not getting his hands dirty on your guitar. That's work for one of the 6 techs working in the shop under him. There's nothing wrong with the price though as long as it includes the PLEK, you didn't specify. And most likely there aren't high frets but the low spot in the center of the board between 12 and 17 that causes the most problems. A JS is tighter radius so if the fretwork isn't perfectly level you will get some choking points with really low action, especially in the second half of the scale where you have no relief.

$250 is what I charge for Silver which is everything, micro radiused, leveled, plus enhanced fret ends and board edge, plus the regular comprehensive setup, on a new guitar. Platinum adds $150, I never recommend it but I've done about 1000 of them and many just don't want any less, but that's full J Customized with 48 ball fret ends and very rounded board edge.

It's $350 for used guitars because they get a full breakdown and clean which always adds a couple hours, and with used there's almost always something that has to be debugged. Sometimes it'll be $450+ depending on what I see during the inspection when I list it, and some have taken 12 hours on the bench.

There is always a small portion of all of those fees that includes insurance for the inevitable accident that's always a looming possibility and with very expensive guitars the punitive compensation can easily leave you owing twice what you charged. Not like every shop takes the same approach, Simms [UK] sent back a brand new BRMR neck with the chrome vine that had 12 dents in the back of the neck. I don't know what you have to smoke to not realize you're putting 12 dings in the neck you're working on, but their "compensation" was to send it back, we'll fix it. Yea, they spot sanded them out and left the areas unfinished. So don't ever assume one shop will handle anything the way you'd want them to.

Not that I'll do any of that on your guitar as I quit ship in work a decade ago. I might sideline when I start cashing social security checks but the added communication is extensive, just the unpack and inspection is a process, so there are many added steps to ship in work that are never compensated.

I have no doubt there are decent techs that don't live in high cost areas [SF & NJ] that would change half those prices quoted. YMMV

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode