GAX70 intonation - new bridge? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

GAX70 intonation - new bridge?

Hello, I've got an old GAX70 that I've put some nice cheap pickups in (axetech Steam Hammer) and thought I'd use the opportunity to put on my favourite Ernie Ball Power Slinky strings to replace the slightly smaller gauge that it had before. I'm not sure what they were.

Anyway, now I can't get it to intonate, it's always sharp on at least three of the strings though not restricted to one side of the guitar. I can't move the saddles any further back so I'm a bit stuck. (To be fair it's probably not only the strings, it was probably a bit off before I changed the strings... I didn't check it before the change.)

I don't think the neck is warped, but I'm no expert. If I was more knowledgeable and handy with tools then I'd mess about with the nut, but I'm not, so I'm wondering if anyone knows of a drop in replacement bridge that might fix it so I don't have to go and see my tech!

Here's the possible offender:

Thanks.

Last edited by beltsonata; 03-14-2019 at 05:01 PM. Reason: typos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 08:13 PM

On TOM type bridges sometimes you have to reverse the saddles when you increase the string gage. Also you gotta make sure you stretch the strings before attempting to intonate.

Tags
bridge , gax70 , intonation , sharp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode