Getting frets "perfectly" level...dressing - Page 3 - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 10:28 PM
Vendor

Re: Getting frets "perfectly" level...dressing

Look, if the neck doesn't have any problems, the process is SIMPLE!! I've already laid it out in my first or second post. If the neck has PROBLEMS, no novice should be doing it anyway. Is that clear enough?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 10:41 PM

Crystal. But what part of the OP's post led you to think that his neck has no problems? The reason he posted in the first place is because he's having touble with his neck. You have told him (1) that you have developed "feel" enough to do this without accurate measuring and (2) that your method is simple enough for anyone to use. You can't have it both ways. You spent a bunch of posts telling me how all your method is a product of your experience.

Start over. You have a beginner who does not have a lot of experience with this. The neck appears to have some problems because it is giving him a lot of trouble. Are you still going to tell him to use The Force? Or should he buy a $10 straightedge, file some notches in it, and try to get his neck as straight as possible, first? You are ignoring context and the OP is going to get in trouble.

Your method works, but it requires experience. Erlewine's method is intended for beginners, no matter what his motives might be. And by the way, the $10 home-made straightedge is a tip that comes straight from Erlewine himself on his Fret Basics DVD. Do you think he has a deal with Staples and Office Depot?
post #33 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 10:56 PM
Vendor

Evidently you ought to read the post that started the thread agin. Nowhere does it say he has a problem with "A" neck, he says he never seems to do good levels. Or are you reading more into than he posted?

Basic and very SIMPLE instructions ANYBODY can follow. Mark the tops of the frets with sharpie, take a light swipe with the bar with 320 [of course, you must have the milled bar, no blocks, stones, files, or any other half assed method is worth the time it takes to use, and run 320 Stickit on one side and 220 on the other] and adjust the truss untill you just start cutting the center of the neck. Depending on how much backbow the neck will show [because most will show a hair] you split the difference between where it's cutting the center frets and where it's cutting the first. [obviously you keep marking the frets each pass to get true judgement on where it's cutting]. When you have it the way you want cut even from one side to the other, always cutting smooth and even as you work around the radius and back until the last bit of black is just about to disapear. Then finish with 320 cut at a 45 [so that your first pass with Micro Mesh cuts at the opposite 45]

How tough was that to follow, and requires nothing more than your milled bar and milled bar alone. Now recrowning and polishing is 75% of the work but I'm not about to start another argument.
post #34 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 11:06 PM

Yes, I'm going to 3bay my stgraightedge right now. Let's hope the OP posts the result of his little experiment.
post #35 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 11:09 PM
Vendor

The most intelligent thing you've said today, in or out of court.
post #36 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

I understand both your points. I personally will go with Rich so I don't need to buy the straightedge and I think I will get the results I want, but I do understand why Jason uses the notched straightedge.
What I took some offense to is this: "too many posters here (for years now) want "low action" when it actually hurts their tone/sustain and is almost pointless and counterproductive... you learn to play with normal action in a couple of weeks (if it takes that long)... glen"
But I'll have to assume that Glen is pulling off Paul Gilbert and Jason Becker super fast, intricate string skipping arpeggios with "normal action". If so, he's a better man than I. I need the lowest action I can get, and sacrificing a little sustain or tone is okay with me. As a matter of fact, I can hear that super low string slap/buzz when mr. Gilbert plays, and from watching his videos, I am quite sure that he has very low action. Sure, I can do Angus young licks and ted nugent licks with "normal" action. And I DID learn to play with relatively high action, but I personally must have very low action for this "shredding" stuff.

john
post #37 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 11:39 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

FWIW Vai has "normal" action (many here would call it high). That says enough... glen
post #38 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 11:40 PM
Vendor

Arguments over technique aside, you'll still need $100 + worth of materials just to start, and that quickly goes up to $200 + to finish the job, much less the time it will take. Evaluate if it's worth it for casual use, and again, if the neck has any problems at all leave it to somebody experienced that can evaluate and take the best course of action.
post #39 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 12:18 AM Thread Starter

I didn't say anything about Mr. Vai. I said Paul Gilbert. So Glen, you can do what Paul Gilbert does with "normal" action then, right? Not what Steve Vai does, what Paul Gilbert does. Big differences in tecnique between Gilbert and Vai. Check out a live Vai guitar solo and a live Gilbert guitar solo sometime and you'll notice a big difference.

John
post #40 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 12:26 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

this thread is now worse than the tone thread.

keep on cuttin' the frets til your fingers bleed or you hit wood.... whatever comes second.

ps - "Paul Gilbert" can do what he does with medium action.
post #41 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 10:00 AM

Hey, is there a database of known players' action? Erlewine used to post action specs about various players' action in GP mag, but I've never seen a chart of different players - I think it'd be interesting.
post #42 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 01:37 PM

Reviews: 2

Has anyone ever used the PLEK system here? Im going to try to have it done when I can afford it just to see.
http://www.plek.com/
post #43 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 03:02 PM

As a regular poster in the tone thread, I must say I am quite happy to see the madness has migrated elsewhere. This will be my only post in this thread (but not my only view hehe)...
post #44 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 03:48 PM

For accuracy, Erlewine didn't design the notched straight-edge, it was Don MacRostie (spelling?).

I have the notched straightedge and one problem I have encountered with it is I cannot seem to straighten any neck enough to where there is NO gap anywhere along the length of the straightedge. I've read where some people think the accuracy Stewmac cuts these straightedges to is not accurate enough. Which I agree with because I got their little set of 4 fret height "spot checker" straightedges and sometimes the 2nd smallest one won't read a high fret but the littlest one will!

Anyway, Rich's method sounds interesting I might give that a shot.
post #45 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanut View Post
Has anyone ever used the PLEK system here? Im going to try to have it done when I can afford it just to see.
http://www.plek.com/
Yes I had it done to one guitar. I was very impressed with the results, though the action was set a tad too low for me. That was my fault when I set the specifications though. The guitar ended up with a very even action with well finished frets.

Tags
angus young , dan erlewine , fret buzz , fret level , fret leveling , jason becker , neck thru , paul gilbert , steel wool , steve vai , string skipping , string tension , ted nugent

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode