Getting it Hard. - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 05:30 AM Thread Starter

Getting it Hard.

I just got 2 new guitars. An RGD7320Z witch I will file the frets a bit better on and replace the pups at a latter stage. Might add a flake the the paint as I m not a huge fan of the flat black. And an RGR465MSOB. This is the guitar the thread is about.

The RGD has an Edge Zero 2 witch I kind of like. But the RGR has an Edge 3 I believe it is. Since I have a guit with a floating trem I have decided to make the RGR a Hardtail. To do this I will be taking out the bridge and all its springs. Filling the cavities with wooden blocks and slapping a Hardtail Bridge onto it.

The job will be pretty simple. Size the blocks, glue them into place and send some dowl rods through to help with resonance. Then if its done properly the gaps will be pretty small so a little bit of wood filler will be used.

I know that it won't be as good as a factory made Hardtaiil. But I don't want the Floating Bridge. And blocking it dusnt look nice.

The questions are, has anybody else here done this. I have to decide what wood I want in the guitar. Mahogany will be good to add some weight and sustain. But the body is Basswood. So I might just throw in some more Basswood. Unless you guys know of something better. Sofar I'm leaning more towards the Mahogany, as I think it would make a stronger block and I already have an all Basswood guitar.

The paint I won't be able to match very well. If I even match it at all. Won't leave it unfinished that's just manky. But maybe the easiest way will be to just add some racing stripes or a graphic.

The next question. Is what bridge to go for. Can get something generic. Or Ibanez Brand. The Tight End sounds pretty rad. And the Gibraltar Bridge from the RGA42 that I had was very nice to use. But a String through setup looks very sexy.

So any thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 05:52 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98
Re: Getting it Hard.

Been done plenty of times!
Here's a tutorial to help you out:
http://projectguitar.com/tut/tht1.htm

Here's another page that will help you:
http://www.spellcheck.net/

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 06:03 AM Thread Starter

Thank you loads man.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 10:39 AM

I used a Gotoh string through on my Fireman project and I love it. Its like a rock. can't wait to see some pics of this project! post'em when you can.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 01:57 PM

Yeah, I've seen this before... most recently in a Paul Gilbert video on YT. On that one, he didn't have the guitar refinished, so you could clearly see where the trem route had been filled in.

But yeah, definitely not the first time someone's converted a trem to fixed. Personally, makes me cry a little inside, but I totally understand why people do it.

Good luck. Would love to see pics of the conversion process.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 04:09 PM

And, "done properly" means NO GAPS NO WOOD FILLER.

Tags
bridge , conversion , floating , hardtail , rgr465msob

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode