Getting a real fat tone (gibson type) - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-01-2005, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 5
Getting a real fat tone (gibson type)

Hello

I want to get a real gibson gary moore tone on my guitar

problem is that I cant afford a gibson gary moore signature

OK I got an ibanex 370dx with the inf3, infs3 and inf4 pick ups and I got a Boss me - 50 efects pedal and my amp is a marshall mg50.

Any help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-01-2005, 05:05 PM

Re: Getting a real fat tone (gibson type)

I got a Gibson bridge pickup that I yanked out of a Gibson Gothic Les Paul that I'm thinking of getting rid of. Nothing sounds more authentic to a Gibson than Gibson's own pickups. PM me if you're interested.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-01-2005, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

no I was thinking of upgrading soon to emg 81 85

or something equivalent to that.

In the future I want to get a gibson gary moore signature

do you know if you can ask for a complete custom, like I would like a ebony 24 fret board and different knob and switch structure.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-01-2005, 05:14 PM

You *COULD* get a complete custom but you need to go through the right channels. However, it would be cheaper just to buy a Les Paul Custom and change the things you want. (or just buy a Les Paul Studio with an ebony board and change the rest).
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-01-2005, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

do any gibsons come with 24 frets??
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-01-2005, 09:56 PM

The doublecuts do, I have a V-90 that does, so does the Explorer 90, but good luck finding one of those.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-02-2005, 12:10 AM

The SG Supreme has 24 frets and an Ebony board. I think that the Gary Moore signature came with Burstbuckers.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-02-2005, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild247
no I was thinking of upgrading soon to emg 81 85.
i thought you wanted gary moore-like tone?

i think you need to be a little more reasonable. with your setup, you won't get that exact sound your after, but you could prolly come relatively close to it. think about his gear and compare it to yours. pros have a bit more cash to throw around!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-02-2005, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

I was wondering do you have to have the gibson pick ups to get that sound or do others offer similar results.

I will probably get a gibson in the future and for now I'll settle for the EMGs on my Ibanez because its a metal monster

when I get my gibson It'll be kick ass

I looked around but they dont do the les paul in 24 frets, would I have to get a custom??
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-02-2005, 09:24 PM

Any good PAF-style pickup (i.e. SD '59, Alnico, etc...) on a set-neck mahogany guitar should do.

The ESP/LTD EC is basically a 24 fret LP. Their set-through Vipers should do the trick as well, although they don't look as classic.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-02-2005, 10:03 PM

Your just working with the wrong setup it seems, you have a maple necked guitar with a floating bridge, and high output pickups, bolt on neck, etc......

You need a different guitar, get an old ibanez les paul custom, call it a day
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-02-2005, 11:39 PM

Sorry man, you're never going to get close with a Marshall MG50 - find a Bluesbreaker Combo, or a JCM 800 50watt head and your Ibanez will start to sound a LOT more like Gary Moore's tone! BTW - the GM Signature LP is basically just a Les Paul Standard with Burstbuckers and special paint, so save a few bucks and buy one of those instead (a new std with burstbuckers, that is)!
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperfrommars1
Your just working with the wrong setup it seems, you have a maple necked guitar with a floating bridge, and high output pickups, bolt on neck, etc......

You need a different guitar, get an old ibanez les paul custom, call it a day
I agree 100%! After that comes about, take apart the neck pickup, reverse the magnet, and put it back together. (It kinda throws the neck a hair out of phase.) That was the trick that Peter Green's guitar tech did to the Paul that Gary mostly plays.
(For all you youngun's out there, Peter Green was the guitarist for Fleetwood Mac before they became the epitomy of schlock pop rock.)
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 04:44 AM Thread Starter

Gary Moore also used a strat on his previous stuff and he really had a nice tone very similar to the one he has using his gibson

how did he do that??
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 09:29 AM

Put some gibson pick-up's in it...

Tags
bridge pickup , dimarzio super distortion , ebony board , fret board , gary moore , guitar tech , high output pickups , ibanez les paul , les paul , les paul custom , les paul standard , les paul studio , maple neck , neal schon , neck pickup , output pickup , super distortion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode