Goldo Backbox installation issues - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

Goldo Backbox installation issues

Hello everyone, first post here, hope I'm not braking the rules.

So I bought this thing, did my Googleing, I understand how it works and how to install it.
But, my biggest concern is does it have to be exactly in the middle of the tremolo block?
My tremolo has three springs and only three holes for springs. Basically I can't move the middle spring to the side. There is one guy on youtube who just sticks it into the screw hole and leaves it without the back plate, and that is something I would absolutely try to avoid (I cant post links yet, if you search "Ibanez Göldo Backbox Installation" on youtube it's 39 minutes long video and the issue I'm describing is at 21:35) .
I also tried with two springs in "V" shape, but having only two springs is impossible, my trem tilted so far forward I thought it'll pop out. Even with the claw screwed all the way in.

Long story short, did anyone install backbox off center and did you run into any troubles down the road?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 11:08 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Re: Goldo Backbox installation issues

Not sure how popular these are - i'd leave it off myself - but being 100% centered is not vital. On an edge (5 hooks on claw, 5 holes on block 2 meant for the blocklock screws) one screw will hold the blocklock if a spring is in the opposite screw hole on the block. So you could have 3 springs in 1|2|5 with the backbox centered or just put the backbox in spring slot 2 or 4 off-centered with the springs in 1|3|5.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 04:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
On an edge (5 hooks on claw, 5 holes on block 2 meant for the blocklock screws) one screw will hold the blocklock if a spring is in the opposite screw hole on the block. So you could have 3 springs in 1|2|5
Once the spring is in the screw hole and tremolo is used, I presume that thread will be ruined forever. And that is the main reason I don't want to do that and why I would much rather install it off center, I guess offset to the bass side.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

I just transcribed the whole damn thing (instruction that come with it are in German). So if anyone ever stumbles on this, google translate actually did a prety good job. It doesn't have to be exactly in the middle.
Translation:

With a hovering strat tremolo it can be wonderfully around the sound tremolieren. One disadvantage is, however, that the guitar mercilessly detunes, should be a string in the middle of the performance. Placing the handball on the bridge can also lead to acute mood fluctuations. When pulling a string, the tuning of the other strings goes into the cellar. Problems about problems. The solution the goldo backbox.

balance of power
The stratiform tremolos function is based on the interplay between string tension and spring tension. The tension of the strings pulls the tremolo upwards and the springs in the spring chamber hold against it. The resultant rest position can be adjusted by turning the two screws on the spring retainer in the correct way.
The ideal floating position is reached when the rear edge of the tremolo base plate has a distance of 2-3 mm from the body surface.

You should also experiment with the number of feathers. The less springs are suspended, the softer the handling of the tremolos. This is a matter of taste. Of course the adjustment of the spring holding plate must then be adjusted.

Balance disturbances
The problem is the labile resting of the tremolos. If the hand is too much on the hand, the tremolo tilts backwards and the mood goes up. If one side breaks, a part of the string is suddenly missing, and the springs pull up the tuning of the remaining strings. The change of the strings and the voices in this construction is also a game of patience, because the rest position constantly changes during the tuning.

But this is now the end, because we have the backbox

How does it work at all?
The backbox serves on the one hand as a stop for the tremoloblock, so that the latter has a defined rest position, into which it returns after the actuation of the tremolo lever again and again. On the other hand, this stop also somewhat decreases when the lever is raised. As a result, it is also possible to tremble in both directions.

Installation preparations

First, space must be created! The backbox should preferably be located in the middle of the spring chamber, especially if the tremolo is only mounted on two knife edges. Two springs are sufficient in most cases, so that the central spring can be easily removed (see illustration). If more springs are used, eg. In the case of particularly thick strings, the backbox can also be positioned slightly laterally offset. Just try it - try it wisely!

The most important setting is as follows: The instrument must be tuned exactly and the desired rest position must be set with the help of the screws on the spring retainer plate!
Also important for the function of the tremolos is a perfect saddle! The strings must never be pinched in the notches. Therefore the notches should not be too tight. In addition, it can not hurt to lubricate the notches with some graphite or silicone.

Mounting
1. In the basic position, the connecting bolt should look out approx. 12mm (plus felt) from the housing. Therefore, turn the stop nut to the correct position until the 12 mm is reached.

2. Now put the backbox in the tremolo (best in the middle, but not necessarily) and push it so far that the felt touches the tremoloblock.

Attention! Place the guitar so that it does not lie with the tremolo or the lever.

Use a fine felt pen or pencil to mark the two fixing holes. This can cause difficulties when the lacquer is lacquered. In such a case, it is advisable to stick a piece of paper or adhesive tape on the varnish, as it is better to paint on it. Then predrill the holes on a 1.5 or 2 mm drill and screw the backbox.

3. Now the pressure spring must be set correctly. This spring determines the backpressure when the tremolo lever is raised. The tension of the spring is adjusted by means of the knurled nut which sits directly on the spring.
The spring should be set so firmly that the tremolo block does not yet move when the hand is placed on the string rider. Only when the tremolo lever is pulled up, the spring will give way. This requires some time and sensitivity and is not least dependent on one's own way of playing. This is called experimentation!

4. Finally, the spring retainer should be screwed a little further into the body, to the extent that the tremoloblock is no longer detached from the felt when pulling a string. This post-correction requires some sensitivity.

Also important: the adjusting nut for the stop bolt must rest against the housing of the backbox in the rest position!

Now try the example: relax the string completely! If the stop nut is pushed away, the spring tension of the backbox is still to be raised a bit, namely, until the stop nut comes back.

Enjoy the tremolo with the backbox.

Tags
goldo backbox

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode