A good and interesting floyd question... - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-02-2003, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

A good and interesting floyd question...

Which is better?:
-Lo pro edge(with all normal parts) or
-Edge pro(with anchors(2LE2A) and locking studs (2LE2B)of the lo pro edge).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-02-2003, 02:31 PM

Which came first chicken or the egg? The best trem i'd guess is the one that works best,If they were compared with the same locking studs,I'd not be bothered which i had on my axe,If they had the original OEM studs i'd opt for the Lo-Pro everytime due to the locking studs,They are a great bit of kit

I hope that helps in some way,But it's a very subjective opinion

Rob

(i need grammer lessons)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-02-2003, 03:17 PM

up to you. try and get the one that does the job for you.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-02-2003, 03:50 PM

Both feel very similar to me. The new trem has a lot of advantages like not having to cut the ball end and the integrated string lock block (so you don't lose the damn thingy!). On the other hand, there's no intonation tool for the EP (yet, I hope), so setting it up may be a pain in the ass.

I believe they're not interchangeable, because different distances between the posts and the saddles, which means if you put an EP in the place of a LoPro, probably you won't be able to intonate it, and viceversa. Please correct me if I'm wrong!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-03-2003, 08:36 PM

The new Edge Pro is clearly an improvement over the Lo Pro Edge. The construction is very impressive. I'd go with the Edge pro & the set screw mod.
I have had to replace broken saddles on 2 RG350DX's with the Korean made Black Edge Pro II bridges. The saddles crack right at the pivot points, the metal looks like diecast car material. I will be sending these 2 guitars back to Hoshino. But the Pro version made by Gotoh is very good.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-03-2003, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Guitar
The new Edge Pro is clearly an improvement over the Lo Pro Edge. The construction is very impressive. I'd go with the Edge pro & the set screw mod.
I have had to replace broken saddles on 2 RG350DX's with the Korean made Black Edge Pro II bridges. The saddles crack right at the pivot points, the metal looks like diecast car material. I will be sending these 2 guitars back to Hoshino. But the Pro version made by Gotoh is very good.
It isnt a clear improvement at all yet. Of course if you modify the studs it can hold its own, i havent held a stock one personally that held up to a stock lo pro or original edge. I still personally prefer the original edge trem to the lo pro. Seems to have better flutter, and ive tested this by swapping trems out of identical guitars. Not that it does, but it has in the experiences ive had with it
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-05-2003, 12:16 AM

Flutter should not even be a basis for comparison because flutter isn't a universally agreed on positive attribute of a trem.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-05-2003, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossingStar
Flutter should not even be a basis for comparison because flutter isn't a universally agreed on positive attribute of a trem.
Who cares if its universally agreed upon. Its a common technique and different trem designs do have different amounts of flutter. Flutter being central to ones guitar style, this is a positive or negative aspect of whether or not a tremolo design is better in my opinion and is therefore relevant to the topic

Tags
edge trem , intonation tool , locking stud , locking studs , pro edge , string lock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode