Got balls ... or not (Edge Pro) - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Got balls ... or not (Edge Pro)

Hi for all of you that have the new Edg Pro equipped guitars, do you use your strings with the ball still attched or do you still cut it off ?

Does it make any noticeable difference in tuning stability, sound or whatever ?

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 03:16 PM

the first couple of times i retrung it i left the ball ends on. but now i string with the ball ends up at the headstock, just because it looks cool.
Never noticed any difference in tone or stability, and i only need to cut the string once this way anyway.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2004, 12:48 PM
Vendor

Try it both ways and you'll soon find out how much of a pain loading the balls are
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2004, 02:16 PM

I don't own one, but I've strung a few and my question is this . . .

What's the point?

If you don't cut the balls off you have to open the saddle enough to push it through, in my opinion it actually seems to take LONGER since you have to sit there and and turn the screw quite a bit farther to fit the ball through than just opening it enough for the string.

I like that the "lock-block" is part of the saddle, no more dropping the little things, but as to leaving the balls on, there is no real point.

I have them at the headstock anyway . . . :-)

Mic
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2004, 02:23 PM
Vendor

You've read my review haven't you
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2004, 02:34 PM

I think so . . .

But regardless, I guess I'm in agreement even if I hadn't.

I strung one Edge Pro II and three Edge Pros, while the II is a major improvement over the TRS, and the Edge Pro feels, to me anyway, very much like the original Edge(s) in action, the fact Ibanez is touting the idea of easier string changes by leaving the balls on is just, well . . . I don't know.

Dumb?

Mic
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2004, 02:55 PM
Vendor

Stringing that way - dumb.
Touting it as easier - misguided.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2004, 03:04 PM

After thinking about it, the only way I could see this being easier would be if they had designed it so that you could pull the strings through the back, like a a Strat bridge, have the ball seated in the block (like a Strat) THEN you clamp the string at the saddle as normally.

No faster than stringing with the balls at the headstock, BUT, in a pinch this could make for a faster single string replacement in an emergency situation since you wouldn't need to find your string cutter at all . . .

But then there's still the Top-Loc, and stretching, and floating and . . .

Oh forget it, it works as it is, I'm going to watch Kirsten Dunst and Eliza Dushku jump around in cheerleader outfits and pretend I'm 10 years younger . . . :-D

Mic

Tags
edge pros , equipped guitar , strat bridge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode