Got Guitar Setup today; Not feeling happy about it! - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 02:27 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 142
Got Guitar Setup today; Not feeling happy about it!

OK, so I brought my (2) guitars, ESP LTD Mh1000NT and Schecter Loomis 7string for setup. I had brought my guitars to the tech before and he did a good job. Today, he was in a rush it seemed and was suppose to leave at 5pm (I got there at 4:50pm). But he agreed to stay and finish the guitars if I paid cash.

So he got done in about 30min-ish.

PICS:






The bridge is clearly NOT parallel to the knife edge of the tremolo. It has a negative slope. Everywhere I used to read, and when I used to setup my guitars, I was informed that you wanted parallel... Maybe is personal pref.? I'm not authorized guitar tech.....

Anyway, I always had him adjust the volume knob because it was loose, but, I know I'm not crazy, but it's sitting up higher now, and there's a gap!



Lmfao, I have the worst freaking luck I swear. Look at my MH1000's action stud, compare the two....





The high E stud screw looked like someone jammed a huge flathead screw driver in there and scrapped the metal.... wtf????
abstract_noise is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 03:56 AM
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Seattle ,Washington USA
Posts: 433
Re: Got Guitar Setup today; Not feeling happy about it!

Why don't you set them up yourself? It's not that hard and you can get them exactly how you like them. i look at it as part of learning the instrument.
moonlight is offline  
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 04:04 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 142
Re: Got Guitar Setup today; Not feeling happy about it!

Ugh, I knew I should have posted "please do not comment on how I should set-up my guitars myself...".

I used to set-up all my old guitars. Minor things, like action and truss rod. I'm somewhat of a masochist-perfectionist, in other words, I am never happy with MY creations/modifications.

With that being said, the only reason I took it in was because I'm very busy and he did a descent job last time.

Anyway, that's besides the point, I more-so wanted to the community on this forum to view the pictures and answer the question regarding the necessity of the tremolo knife edge needing to be parallel, and to asses whether the fact that I am over-reacting.

I don't know though, there is a gap in the volume knob like some n00b put it on, the bridge isn't parallel, and my ESP screw looks are chewed up, so that's insane to me. I don't even feel angry, just shocked O_O

But, I guess, I should add that I just ordered "How to make your electric guitar play great" by Dan Erlewine, after this experience....

I guess I can always get a new stud for the tonepros bridge...
abstract_noise is offline  
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 05:42 AM
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,060
Reviews: 1
Re: Got Guitar Setup today; Not feeling happy about it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abstract_noise View Post
Ugh, I knew I should have posted "please do not comment on how I should set-up my guitars myself...".

I used to set-up all my old guitars. Minor things, like action and truss rod. I'm somewhat of a masochist-perfectionist, in other words, I am never happy with MY creations/modifications.

With that being said, the only reason I took it in was because I'm very busy and he did a descent job last time.

Anyway, that's besides the point, I more-so wanted to the community on this forum to view the pictures and answer the question regarding the necessity of the tremolo knife edge needing to be parallel, and to asses whether the fact that I am over-reacting.

I don't know though, there is a gap in the volume knob like some n00b put it on, the bridge isn't parallel, and my ESP screw looks are chewed up, so that's insane to me. I don't even feel angry, just shocked O_O

But, I guess, I should add that I just ordered "How to make your electric guitar play great" by Dan Erlewine, after this experience....

I guess I can always get a new stud for the tonepros bridge...
Yes you can see evidence of being in a hurry.
Your trem should be level, not dipped foward or back, yours is setting a little low (as you already knew). did he take the time to check/set the intonation? Did you see him adjusting the truss rod? (this would depend on many things.)
I would take the them back and point out what you are un-happy with, and I'm sure he will make it right.
Then read the book your getting, and it will make setting up your own guitar alot simplier.
A good set up (depending on how far you go, leveling frets, shimming the neck,ect.) should take about an 1-2 hrs per guitar.
in my aera, this runs between 80.00 and 200.00 depending on what you get done.
Ther are cheeper guys out there in the 50.00 range, but the guy I mentiond above is phenomenal!
I do my own, except major fret work.
Jamm'n Jimmy is offline  
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 07:03 AM
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Staunton, VA
Posts: 204
Re: Got Guitar Setup today; Not feeling happy about it!

The bridge is low because the strings didn't have time to fully stretch out, even if you try to force stretch them. Have you checked to see if the knob is fully pushed down into place. It could just be riding a little high from the adjustment. The stud is just plain sloppy work there.

Honestly though, he never should have agreed to stay late and do it if he didn't have time, and you never should have taken the guitars in 10 minutes before the shop closed. I hate it when customers come though my door at the last minute and expect the staff to stay late for their convenience.

Last edited by gideond; 10-19-2011 at 06:58 AM.
gideond is offline  
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 08:03 AM
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,060
Reviews: 1
Re: Got Guitar Setup today; Not feeling happy about it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gideond View Post
The bridge is low because the strings didn't have time to fully stretch out, even if you try to force stretch them. Have you checked to see if the knob is fully pushed down into place. It could just be riding a little high from the adjustment. The stud is just plain sloppy work there.

Honestly though, he never should have agreed to stay late and do it if he didn't have time, and you never should have taken the guitars in 10 minutes before the shop closed. I have it when customers come though my door at the last minute and expect the staff to stay late for their convenience.
He was not there 10 min before they closed, he was there 10 min before the guy was going to leave (says above, he was leaving early.).
As for the bridge sitting low because of the strings stretching, I dont buy it, everyone who works on trems, know you have to stretch the strings, and this is one reason why a good set up takes at least an hour.

Last edited by Jamm'n Jimmy; 10-18-2011 at 08:29 AM.
Jamm'n Jimmy is offline  
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 09:59 AM
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Athens GA
Posts: 941
Re: Got Guitar Setup today; Not feeling happy about it!

Guitar Center "tech" I take it?

Never take your guitar to a guitar denter, those guys are clueless.
musikron is offline  
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 142
Re: Got Guitar Setup today; Not feeling happy about it!

Guys, thanks so much for the responses.

Yes, the guitar shop was open until 8pm, I guess he was just leaving at 5pm. Needless to say, I would have rather have him do it the next day, than to mess my guitars up.

And no, it was not guitar center lol. It was a small music shop, that I guess I could say the name if you guys really want to know. It is very popular here, and has been in business since the 70's, and the owner has "hook-up's" to a lot of 80's hair metal rockers like Michael angelio batio.

Anyway, yeah I'm deffinitely doing it myself next time.

I don't feel comfortable going back; he made me pay him in cash, and I feel like it would be metaphorical to someone complaining about food at a fast food place, if anything they will "spit in the food".

So I feel I would just piss him off and he would fudge my guitars up more. Plus, it feels utterly akward and even though the bastard ripped me off and made me pay 100$ (dear god) for this atrocity... Ijust don't know...

I'm somewhat non-confrontational, and will just use this as a platform to do my own work on guitars. Although, I do feel utterly cheated/raped.
abstract_noise is offline  
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 05:02 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Lanarkshire Scotland
Posts: 11
Re: Got Guitar Setup today; Not feeling happy about it!

Thats exactly why I do almost everything myself. I'm not just talking about guitars. I've have loads of botched jobs done around my home by the so-called experts and ended up sorting the stuff myself.
I do not let anyone near my guitars, I learned to do them myself over the years and get a great amount of satisaction doing so.
There was one time after I had got a seven-string electric made for me that I mentioned it to a workmate. He said his son was a luthier and to take it to him to set it up. I did so and I have to admit that it was a much better instrument after he worked on it. He did mention though that he took extra care of it as I was a friend of his fathers and that he would'nt normally spend as much time on a guitar. So I think that says it all
Bye the way, If it were me, I'd be giving him hell and telling him exactly what I thought of his work and would strongly recommend to friends to stay well away from him. There is absolutely no reason for bad work like that. I'd demand my money back and get him to recompence me for the damage done.
These cowboys just should'nt get away with stuff like that.
Bluesnote is offline  
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 06:08 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,953
Re: Got Guitar Setup today; Not feeling happy about it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abstract_noise View Post
I'm somewhat non-confrontational, and will just use this as a platform to do my own work on guitars. Although, I do feel utterly cheated/raped.
So what do you want? Looking for sympathy ? You got it. If you don't want to go back and get it straightened out and either get your money back or fixed, than there is nothing which can be done.

Go, speak up.
dragsternj is offline  
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 06:52 PM
 
RGTFanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: New Lenox, IL-USA
Posts: 10,116
Reviews: 2
Re: Got Guitar Setup today; Not feeling happy about it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abstract_noise View Post
I'm somewhat non-confrontational, and will just use this as a platform to do my own work on guitars. Although, I do feel utterly cheated/raped.
Maybe he knew you were non-confrontational from your last visit, so he knew he could get away with charging you top dollar for crap work.

Your not being confrontational demanding your money back (don't allow this Idiot to touch your guitars again). He DID rape you........ your just getting your money back...... your still the good guy.

He didn't happen to be located in Merrillville did he??
RGTFanatic is offline  
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 07:00 AM
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Staunton, VA
Posts: 204
Re: Got Guitar Setup today; Not feeling happy about it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamm'n Jimmy View Post
He was not there 10 min before they closed, he was there 10 min before the guy was going to leave (says above, he was leaving early.).
As for the bridge sitting low because of the strings stretching, I dont buy it, everyone who works on trems, know you have to stretch the strings, and this is one reason why a good set up takes at least an hour.
Sorry about that, I just assumed from the first post that the whole shop was closing at 5.
gideond is offline  
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 11:10 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 9,291
Reviews: 98
Re: Got Guitar Setup today; Not feeling happy about it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragsternj View Post
So what do you want? Looking for sympathy ? You got it. If you don't want to go back and get it straightened out and either get your money back or fixed, than there is nothing which can be done.

Go, speak up.
^
|

THIS



AlaskaBat is offline  
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 02:05 PM
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 5,768
Re: Got Guitar Setup today; Not feeling happy about it!

I guess my question is, if you know how to correct the problem, why post this thread? In the amount of time you spent taking pictures, hosting them and creating this thread, you could have taken out a screwdriver and fixed the problem. Just saying.
Takin' a Ride is offline  
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 03:08 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 9,291
Reviews: 98
Re: Got Guitar Setup today; Not feeling happy about it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
I guess my question is, if you know how to correct the problem, why post this thread? In the amount of time you spent taking pictures, hosting them and creating this thread, you could have taken out a screwdriver and fixed the problem. Just saying.
Yep--now I don't have to say it.



AlaskaBat is offline  
Reply

Tags
action , guitar , parallel , setup , tremolo

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
01-01-11 Happy New Guitar Day - weird UV or.... Agent540 All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 22 10-19-2011 07:23 AM
not happy with my prestige guitar cursed All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 18 01-10-2010 09:10 AM
Happy new guitar day! fretboardpyro All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 24 08-08-2009 08:27 AM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!!!!!!!!!!!! - today, i turn 18 puppiesonacid Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic 11 08-10-2001 02:21 AM
Building a "vintage feeling" guitar - Actually, I'm modding carlos seo Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods 5 03-22-2001 02:06 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome