Gotoh Bridge into a 2003 JEM555 - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 07:05 AM Thread Starter

Smile Gotoh Bridge into a 2003 JEM555

I'm not happy with the tuning stability of the original trem supplied with this guitar so I plan to upgrade to a Gotoh (spec attached - hopefully).

One question/ concern has crossed my mind however; will the lions claw allow for serious pull up of the whammy bar (~5th) or will the extra length of the trem get stuck in the claw route?

Has anybody made this swap and experienced a problem with the whammy movement being reduced, or did it work out fine?

Are there better trem options that have tuning stability but aren't as long as the Gotoh do as not to interfere with the claw operation?

Any ideas or thoughts highly appreciated.

DD

Last edited by Dwayne_Dibley; 02-05-2013 at 02:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-02-2013, 07:34 PM

Re: Gotoh Bridge into a 2003 JEM555

see if the graphtech floyd will fit??
i stayed away from them for years, even being a graphtech fan, because the body is cut perfectly square and it looked funny......that was a mistake! when i tried one, i instantly fell in love. sound great, stay in tune, and half the price of floyd or schaller. not sure about the lions claw though. it is a pretty short bridge

as far as reduced movement, i have an rg deluxe that when set up properly, the bridge is sitting on the shelf for the studs, all original hardware.........what a disappointment!!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-03-2013, 01:35 AM

Reviews: 18

Is it an Edge III in there currently? Why not put an Edge Pro instead?
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-03-2013, 01:49 AM

You can shorten the overall length of a Gotoh by using Floyd Rose locking screws. They are 5mm shorter.

"as far as reduced movement, i have an rg deluxe that when set up properly, the bridge is sitting on the shelf for the studs, all original hardware.........what a disappointment!!"
You need to shim the neck at the neck pickup end of the pocket to raise the trem up.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-03-2013, 01:55 AM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne_Dibley View Post
I'm not happy with the tuning stability of the original trem supplied with this guitar so I plan to upgrade to a Gotoh (spec attached - hopefully).

One question/ concern has crossed my mind however; will the lions claw allow for serious pull up of the whammy bar (~5th) or will the extra length of the trem get stuck in the claw route?

Has anybody made this swap and experienced a problem with the whammy movement being reduced, or did it work out fine?

Are there better trem options that have tuning stability but aren't as long as the Gotoh do as not to interfere with the claw operation?

Any ideas or thoughts highly appreciated.

DD
Your guitar has an Edge-ProII. The Edge-Pro is a direct drop in- no modding necessary....... just add locking studs and inserts to complete the package.

Also, disregard my post about dropping an OE into the guitar on your other thread (FSK101)......... I didn't read this til after replying to that one.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-03-2013, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
Your guitar has an Edge-ProII. The Edge-Pro is a direct drop in- no modding necessary....... just add locking studs and inserts to complete the package.
For the cavity I understand, but wouldn't this require the stud anchor holes' diameter to be enlarged? I remember reading the Edge Pro II stud anchors having 10 mm OD compared to the 11 mm OD diameter of the Edge Pro anchors, is that right? Also, if the stud anchor holes are to be enlarged, can the Edge stud anchors and locking studs be used with the Edge Pro knives?

Thanks,
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissTheApex View Post
For the cavity I understand, but wouldn't this require the stud anchor holes' diameter to be enlarged? I remember reading the Edge Pro II stud anchors having 10 mm OD compared to the 11 mm OD diameter of the Edge Pro anchors, is that right? Also, if the stud anchor holes are to be enlarged, can the Edge stud anchors and locking studs be used with the Edge Pro knives?

Thanks,
Yes, your correct. the anchors for the locking studs are slightly larger and would require a larger bore to fit.

Yes, the locking studs will work great with the EP knives.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 11:06 PM

Thanks RGTFanatic.

Barring any lathe or similar large equipment what would be the best way to enlarge the holes? I guess with only 1mm of enlargement required, one can sand the bore wall, but how to achieve the accuracy needed? Any known methods to enlarge the bore without any power tools?
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 11:18 PM

Reviews: 120

You don't have a hand drill? If you werer careful taking a mm out shouldn't be too hard.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissTheApex View Post
Thanks RGTFanatic.

Barring any lathe or similar large equipment what would be the best way to enlarge the holes? I guess with only 1mm of enlargement required, one can sand the bore wall, but how to achieve the accuracy needed? Any known methods to enlarge the bore without any power tools?
To be honest, I did it in 5 mins using 3 different drill bits by hand.

Can't remember which 3 though, I'll get back to you on it.

edit: FWIW...... you can see what the upgrade studs look like in this thread I did. These are the ones I did in 5 minutes.

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f21/lo...te-124868.html

Last edited by RGTFanatic; 02-04-2013 at 11:43 PM.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies, I've gone with the Gotoh and will update once it's fitted regarding claw functionality.

DD
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
You don't have a hand drill? If you werer careful taking a mm out shouldn't be too hard.
Yes I do but I wouldn't want to take too much out of the body, just because I couldn't judge the required depth while trying to keep the drill as vertical as I can to keep the bore straight. I wanted to see how the more experienced members do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
To be honest, I did it in 5 mins using 3 different drill bits by hand.

Can't remember which 3 though, I'll get back to you on it.

edit: FWIW...... you can see what the upgrade studs look like in this thread I did. These are the ones I did in 5 minutes.
Thanks. I remember seeing your thread about your nephew's guitar. Right now it doesn't look like I may have a tuning problem with my new-to-me guitar with EP II, but i'd like to know what bits you've used just in case I need to change it in the future. After all the guitar I have is a 2005, and I don't know how long it would be before I need to replace the bridge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne_Dibley
Thanks for the replies, I've gone with the Gotoh and will update once it's fitted regarding claw functionality.

DD
It would be interesting to see how it fits, as i have the same cavity and would like to see how Gotoh fits in there.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

I have had the bridge fitted. It is not exactly a 'drop in' replacement - 15mm had to be ground off the bottom of the brass block so it would actually fit within the guitar body and the locking nut is not compatible (so left the original on).

Pictures below:

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Forgot to mention that a couple of mm had to be shaved off the trem cavity - although I guess this might not be the same for everyone... if the manufacturing tolerances in the Korean factories are big?
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 04:02 PM

Reviews: 120

Very good. Although I would have left the cavity off so I could benefit from the tone from the extra mass of the unmodified block.

Tags
gotoh , jem555

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode