Gotoh floyd going out of tune - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 3
Gotoh floyd going out of tune

Ok, so yesterday i put my gotoh floyd into my rg350dx, hoping it would solve my tuning issues, only to find it goes out of tune with pull ups. I have streched the strings, so i dont think that is the problem. I am using the edge 3 springs, because the gotoh ones are way too heavy. They are in a lll pattern. i did have to enlarge the cavity, so i thought maybe it was touching one of the cavity walls, but it's not. Any help would be nice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

Re: Gotoh floyd going out of tune

oh and yes, i do have the gotoh studs in there as well, and they are locked. I use 11-52 strings, and tune down a whole step.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBZshredder View Post
oh and yes, i do have the gotoh studs in there as well, and they are locked. I use 11-52 strings, and tune down a whole step.
try it with 2 gotoh springs and let us know.

I have one on the way to upgrade an old RG.

have you replaced the locking nut?
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

i used the locking pads from the gotoh, but the nut it came with didn't fit.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 02:31 PM

Reviews: 4

Hey, Just a tip, and I think this might be your problem - Unlock the nut, dive and pull a few times but END ON A DIVE, then tune with the (not fine) tuners, then repeat with the diving. once it settles, then you can lock back down (dive right before you lock down just to make sure it is set neutral)

This was my problem, and it should help you. you also might want to put some chapstick on the studs and knives. raed tihs http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/lockdown.htm
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

ok, spo this is what i did. put chapstick on the contact points, and used two gotoh springs parallel to each other, and at the edge of the block. now just goes slightly out with pull ups, and not as bad as before. i will have to give fwd's suggestion a try, and i did look at rich's site. the only thing is that the gotoh springs are really heavy, and now there is maybe a centimeter of screw left in the wood.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

FFFFFFFFFIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXEEEEEEE EEEEEEEDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!
yes, this is great! love it! thanks fwd, i think that was the problem. now just to let the springs wear in. now i can go eat

Tags
gotoh , ibanez , strings

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode