Gotoh opinions - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

Gotoh opinions

I'm looking at an OFR by gotoh and wondering what your opinions of it are. I want the edge pro but don't want to spend 300 bucks on it and the gotoh caught my eye. I'm starting a JEM7V project. Thanks a lot!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 09:40 AM

Reviews: 65
Re: Gotoh opinions

I think Gotoh's are fine, didn't have one for quite some time, but I remember having no problems with it. I largely prefer the Edge Pro though...
If I'd go for a OFR I would go with a Schaller.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 12:41 PM

I put one in this custom build along with gotoh tuners and I love it to bits ,only problem is that the block sticks out of the back cavity (about 4 mm ) and I can't get the cavity cover on .

Marty...
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

cool! how's the action with the gotoh? I shouldn't notice a difference between the gotoh and the edge pro in terms of setup and action right?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 05:48 PM

Woo hoo slow down there bud is this project a revamp or a bridge change cause if its a bridge change its a different story .You'll have to move the posts up 3 mm. As far as the action go's thats in the set up witch happens later and really dosen't mater as long as the bridge is in right .

Marty...
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 06:07 PM

The Gotoh OFR is very-ultra top-notch quality stuff, ultra stable and flutters like hell.

Actually, you can 'CUT' the block, since all holes in the block are deep ennuf.
Have done it 3 times and it works.
Just please don't ask me about this or tutorial since i don't know how to explain it clearly in english language.
Just give it a try and think about cutting the block. It's that easy.
About Martallica's custom, your bridge setup is totally wrong IMVHO.
It's too much deep in to the body and using appropriate measures can prevent the block from getting out the body.
Next time i get something similar to this, i'll make some pictures of the block cutting process, but it's really easy, just do it!!!
Lucky ya.
Will
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 06:16 PM

Gotoh don't actually make an OFR as such, they make their own version.

The way everything works with floater bridges is this, in a nutshell:

OFR - Manufactured by Schaller, sold by FR.
Schaller 'OFR' - Manufactured by Schaller under license and with some modifications to the designs. The main one of these is that it has a flatter radius than the OFR, since the OFR was made for fender type necks whereas schaller make theirs for more current styles of neck like compound radius and flatter radius.

Gotoh - Manufacturers of the Edge Trems for ibanez and lots of other hardware like tuners and some other bridges and so on.

Gotoh 'OFR' - Again, manufactured under license from floyd with some modifications. The mods on the gotoh OFRs are mainly durability and materials. The gotoh materials and craftmanship are (semi-arguably) the best of ALL floyd rose trems on the market. They use brass inserts in places and their knife edges are made much harder than schallers so they need less maintenence. The 1996T is their best floyd style trem in the opinion of many builders including Suhr guitars.

So thats it in a nutshell. There are slight differences. All floyd style trems have a more 'direct' feel than any edge style trems, which can be spongier in feel. Because of this an OFR design won't gargle quite as well but it will be very slightly more stable depending on environment.

Also, its generally held that edge trems have a very 'flat' tonality, not favouring bass treble or mid, whereas the OFRs have a slightly more scooped tone,however the gotoh OFRs are said to be very flat also, with a very slight bump in the upper mids. None of these tonal changes are much at all, if you can hear them you have good ears, but they're there, so bear it in mind.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 07:05 PM

I know what you are saying Tabarao it is low into the body but that is the way I make all my guitars and this one is one of the best guitars i've every played ,so its not wrong Its different .The action is low and the tone is great so it works for me.

By the way I love your work and I'm not been hostile just defending my work .
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 07:38 PM

no offense at all, mate.
sorry if i sounded like this too.
I can really see the action in your axe is really low and looks amazing.
i'm sure it plays like a dream.
when i get some gotoh block cutting, i'll upload some pictures.
you should at least give it a try.
all the best!
Will

Tags
cavity cover , gotoh tuners , suhr guitars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode