To grain fill, or not to grain fill... - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

To grain fill, or not to grain fill...

Starting a guitar build soon with a nice piece of African Padauk. I think some of the N4's are made of the same stuff. This piece isn't as porous as other woods I have seen but isn't as smooth as say, basswood. I plan on doing a birchwood casey oil finish. In researching I have found that using this finish, you can use it as a filler and finish but you may need a lot of coats to get it smooth. is it worth it or should I just use filler first? I have only used it on necks until now, but I want this wood to be shown off Thanks all-

PS, I'm not looking for a mirror finish here, if I was I would just clear it.

Last edited by GUITARMAGEDDON; 04-13-2013 at 08:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 11:36 AM

Re: To grain fill, or not to grain fill...

I can only say that epoxy grain filling is very effective, but a pain in the but. I don't go for mirror finish either, but the deep pores in walnut and rosewood don't give you a nice build unless you fill, or do 10s of coats. I will track down the link for you that I followed.

http://www.lenaweelutherie.info/page...20/page20.html

It only takes 1 or 2 passes with the squeegy and zpoxy to get a nice grain fill. Only catch is i'm not sure that the linseed oil will stick. Nice think about epoxy is that it's pretty much clear, so it doesn't obscure the grain at all. A lot of other fillers have associated colors.

Good luck, and please show some pics when you're done!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

cool! thanks for that. I should get a pic up of the piece I'm working with. Its not nearly as porous as the piece from that thread.. Might not even be worth it.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 02:11 PM

I remember a mahogany bodied gibson style re-finish that somebody did with tru oil a while back. They didn't bother grain filling, so it didnt look glassy. But it does give it a nice woody sheen. I think that it's a nice finish, but for SUPER porous stuff, maybe it wouldn't be as nice. If you have a scrap you can always try it. I tried 10 coats of clear on the walnut, and it just never really looked good. Tried 1 coat of poxy, then clear, this was much better. Finally, I did 2 coats of poxy, just to make sure you don't miss any spots, then clear... BAM... good to go. If you have scrap, this is a good thing to test.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

good point. I will try on some scrap first. Thanks for the help with this.. !!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

so I haven't cut the body yet but I put about 5 coats of tru-oil on a corner that is going to get cut off. Its gonna take a ton of coats to fill the grain.. I see that birchwood casey also makes a wipe on grain filler so I'm gonna order a few bottles since I have to get more tru-oil anyway.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUITARMAGEDDON View Post
so I haven't cut the body yet but I put about 5 coats of tru-oil on a corner that is going to get cut off. Its gonna take a ton of coats to fill the grain.. I see that birchwood casey also makes a wipe on grain filler so I'm gonna order a few bottles since I have to get more tru-oil anyway.
You cant really fill the grain with Tru oil , I've tried many times . The wipe on filler is the best bet and it will save you lots of money and time.
The more TO you put on , the shinier it becomes so the filler is the best bet.
Good luck with the build . Padauk is a wonderful wood.

Tags
fill , filler , grain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode