grgr270 chip, advice needed - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 06:33 AM Thread Starter

grgr270 chip, advice needed

hi all, i have an ibanez grg270 in purple,

like this http: // tinyurl.com/ 3dqyr6d (no spaces)

anyway it has a chip in it as you can see below, however ive never dealt with paint chip repair, however i know somebody who has, the issue is getting the metallic purple paint to match, any ideas?

any advice on the repair would be appreciated also

sorry i cant embed images, forum wont let me, however heres a link to the chip

http :// tinyurl.com / 3ryfqrm (take away the spaces)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 11:22 AM

Re: grgr270 chip, advice needed

Quit worrying about stuff like that and play. Guitars get dinged and chipped thats how it is. If you are just worried about cosmetics quit playing them and lock them in argon filled display cases.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 11:39 AM

I always fixed chips by filling them with super glue and nail polish. If you want the color to match, that's just not going to happen without repainting the whole guitar. You'll learn to live with it. I don't own a guitar that isn't chipped. It happens .
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

musikron, dont be hatin, dispite what goes on for you, my guitars mean alot to me, and being a student, i need to face the fact money is an issue, and one day i may need to sell one of guitars, and i know cosmetic damage affects re sale value, so id appreciate it if you dont hate on me cool?

linkage, that sounds like a good plan, i accept it wont be perfect, but i was going to get some sort of adhesive filler, then going into halfords and getting a car paint match? cuz its a metallic finish i figure they would have the closest?

just to clarify, budget isnt huge, and musikron, again dont hate, i have my 2 guitars and i play the hell out of them on a bass amp i got cheap, i think that more than demonstrates my willingness to "Quit worrying about stuff like that and play" yeh?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 01:59 PM

Don't be hatin???? lol 'K bra

As far as selling that guitar, you might get $100 for it as it is pretty much the cheapest RG of that period. If you are hurting for money that bad a part time job would serve you much better than selling your gear. Trust me, I sold plenty of stuff when I was younger like that, and it is a temporary solution to a permanent problem. Lot's of people work their way through college, and if you are an undergrad student there is no excuse of for lack of time as those degrees are not overly demanding, no thesis to write and the like.

If you don't have the money to get it repaired correctly, which on these guitars is a refin, just get the closest nail polish color you can find and you can touch it up. Use several thin coats to build it up above the surrounding finish, let it cure well between coats, then scrape level, and polish out.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 02:17 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Yep--nail polish is the best bet here. Follow Musikron's advice.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 03:04 PM

I have to agree on nail polish. So many colours to choose from!I'msurprised how soft it is when it dries, at least the two I've used. The stuff I have does not polymerize, and dissolves quickly with acetone. Potentially some thin clear coating with polyurethane afterwards would make it more durable.

Live with the chips and be thankful it's not an acoustic, where the chip could lead to structural dammage!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncam View Post
i know cosmetic damage affects re sale value, so id appreciate it if you dont hate on me cool?
On that guitar the loss of value due to that chip is negligible, and wouldn't really be improved by fixing it up. It's not worth refinishing. Seriously, live with it. If more paint is chipping off you could protect the edges of the chip with a light spray of car lacquer, nail varnish first for colour if you have to, but this will just make an improvement to the look rather than restore any value.

If the guitar plays well, play it more! Remember, some people pay a fortune for the "relic" look!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode