guitar going out of tune - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-11-2004, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

guitar going out of tune

an annoying thing keeps happening to my guitar, it sometimes just goes out of tune at random, i dont have the nut locked and i have blocked my lo-pro, any advice on what i can do, it usually only happens on the thin strings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-11-2004, 07:24 PM

I would first suggest using the locking nuts again. The tuning keys tend to slip a little if you havent noticed theya re just gears and its really kind of impossible for them not to slip to some extent. You could switch over to locking tuners though maybe sperzels. If you have to not use the nut you may want to apply some lube of some kind to the nut of your guitar. Also make sure you stretch your strings properly. Otherwise basically all guitars will go out of tune when the neck wood expands and contracts due to climatical changes. Try to leave it in a room where the tempature stays pretty much the same, out of sunlight
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 01:34 AM

It's most likely just friction at the nut when you bend a string, or even just from the strings moving a bit when picking.

The locking nut on these guitars is NOT made to NOT be locked. It has a fairly large area where the string comes in contact, by design, to allow for a good grip on the strings when the blocks are locked.

Just lock the nut and use the fine tuners just like you would if you were using the trem un-blocked.

This should solve your problem.

If you just can't deal with locking the nut, or if you're using alternate tunings often and locking the nut is impractical, you may have to invest in installing a regular, non-locking nut on your guitar. This will look strange, since there is a large rout at the nut for the lock, and it may not even stay in place because there is no wood 'behind' the nut, but barring that, I see no other real options.

I doubt it's the tuners, as long as you're tuning UP when you do tune. The tuners on Ibanez guitars (even a lot of the 'cheap' ones) are all either good, very good or top quality and should give no problems.

I'm going to stick with friction at the nut/string tree. Simple as that. :-)

Mic
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

thankyou for your advice. it is a bit stupid buying a lo-pro then not using it, but i got so used to not using the trem that when it finally came, i didnt want to use it, its good in a way because i have focused a lot more on my playing and technique. I think the best advice for myself, is to get a new guitar, i'd much rather have something with a wilkinson trem so i could still use it no and again. Can anyone tell me what guitars have those new wilkinson trems on them i'd like to look into it. thanx

Tags
alternate tuning , alternate tunings , ibanez guitars , locking nut , locking nuts , locking tuners , string tree , wilkinson trem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode