guitar neck question.. - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-24-2004, 01:30 AM Thread Starter

guitar neck question..

my guitar's neck is a 24 fretter, but it is a short scale neck, i'm not sure what's the scale, didn't measure it, but for sure it's much shorter than standard ibanez's neck scale. is it possible for me to install a 25.5 scale neck on that guitar? do i have to make extra routing on it or could i just bolt it in?

thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-24-2004, 07:19 AM

You could be lucky, but most probably it won't fit.

What you will have to do is difficult to say without knowing the scales, measurements. But, the Ibanez neck is made to a 25.5" scale. That means that there are 25.5" from the bridge to the nut, the "ringing string distance". Depending on your old neck, you will have to make the distance shorter or longer to make the Ibanez fit.

It's not the best thing to do, as it could end up totally wrong and is alot of work. I wouldn't do it. I'd rather try getting hold of a used Ibanez in working order. But you might have your reasons...
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-24-2004, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

i just checked, my scale is 24.5? or somewhere around that.. it's definitely shorter than 25.5.. is it possible to extend a bit?

ahhah yeah, i just love this guitar soo much, but infortunately some parts are getting old, like the neck, that's why i have done some modifications since i bought it (blame it, it's a cheap korean made). since i can't stop playing this baby (although i already have a dbk) i've been trying to stop it from degrading by installing better parts..

the neck part isn't that urgent but will get its turn soon.. so yeah, i'm thinking of getting a longer scale one
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-25-2004, 01:48 AM

If the neck wood and fingerboard are in ok shape, maybe you should consider replacing the frets, or having the existing ones leveled and dressed if there's enough of them left to work with. You'd be surprised how much of a difference this would make on a "beat to hell" neck.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-25-2004, 02:39 AM

Well, the 12th fret needs to be exactly half way between the bridge and the nut when the neck is installed, likewise, the 24th needs to be exactly 1/4th the scale length from the bridge. If you try to just bolt a longer scale neck onto the guitar, wouldn't the 24th fret be in the same location as it was for the shorter neck, meaning it would then be too close to the bridge? And all the other frets would be in the wrong place too, wouldn't they?

Unless you very precisely redid the neck pocket to make the new neck line up in the right place, and since you'd need to make the longer neck move away from the bridge compared to where the shorter neck was, there'd be a gap that you'd have to fill in. Doesn't seem to me like it would be easy or advisable.

Tags
ibanez neck , neck scale

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode