Guitar Painting question - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

Guitar Painting question

I am looking to get my JEM repainted. No color change or anything. Standard white. I was quoted $500. Is this unreasonable? I have never had a guitar painted before and if this is an average cost, it looks like that will not change very fast...

Just doesn't see, to make a lot of sense seeing as you can buy a 140 dollar guitar that is painted...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 09:35 PM

Re: Guitar Painting question

I've never had one repainted either but that seems extremely high. What kind of shop did you get a quote from?
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 09:50 PM
Banned

Reviews: 64

500 is actually high.
Send it to me I'll paint it with a special brazilian paint which comes with Vai's tone for only 449,99 and I promise I'll send it back in about 2 weeks, just sit and wait.................

BTW I really never understood those USA stores weird prices like 59,99. What difference does 1 cent make?
I know some won't ask 1 cent back and that store will keep it still........weird.
If any store would charge me with such a stupid price I'd ask my 1 cent only to calm down my anger grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 09:59 PM

Reviews: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musician78 View Post
I am looking to get my JEM repainted. No color change or anything. Standard white. I was quoted $500. Is this unreasonable? I have never had a guitar painted before and if this is an average cost, it looks like that will not change very fast...

Just doesn't see, to make a lot of sense seeing as you can buy a 140 dollar guitar that is painted...
300.00 is top dollar whit paint job.
try a car body shop.
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

This place does everything from bikes to guitars. Even 300 seems high to me. I need to find someone with limited experience who will do it for cost I think. Ludicrous....
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 05:59 AM

Reviews: 17

my Local garage would do it for 30 lol
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6fingers View Post
500 is actually high.
BTW I really never understood those USA stores weird prices like 59,99. What difference does 1 cent make?
I know some won't ask 1 cent back and that store will keep it still........weird.
If any store would charge me with such a stupid price I'd ask my 1 cent only to calm down my anger grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
It's years of marketing tradition. Take a $100 purchase and make it $99.99 and for some reason people think it's a deal because thy are no longer looking at quite so many digits. Personally I automatically round it up to the nearest whole number so I guess it doesn't work on me.
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 07:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gideond View Post
It's years of marketing tradition. Take a $100 purchase and make it $99.99 and for some reason people think it's a deal because thy are no longer looking at quite so many digits. Personally I automatically round it up to the nearest whole number so I guess it doesn't work on me.
Weird.
Well maybe some dumb ones think if they buy everything they can, they'll get rich because of 1 cent they saved in every buy
Here it's the opposite, as nobody want a 1 cent coin, stores have a profit of 1 cent more in all sells. It's big money in the end of the year

BTW why would anybody want a 30 painting over a jem?
I'd try to get the best painting ever with a good price and not the cheapest one.
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Weird.
Well maybe some dumb ones think if they buy everything they can, they'll get rich because of 1 cent they saved in every buy
Here it's the opposite, as nobody want a 1 cent coin, stores have a profit of 1 cent more in all sells. It's big money in the end of the year

BTW why would anybody want a 30 painting over a jem?
I'd try to get the best painting ever with a good price and not the cheapest one.
30 years in painting motorbikes and cars + he KNOWS how to paint guitars from olden days

its not a 30 paint job, its just as good as factory paint job but cheaper !

remember, just because its cheap doesn't mean its crap
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 08:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedabob View Post
30 years in painting motorbikes and cars + he KNOWS how to paint guitars from olden days

its not a 30 paint job, its just as good as factory paint job but cheaper !

remember, just because its cheap doesn't mean its crap
Remember an artist charges according to his talent /quality and not according to paint quantity.
If you're good you charge more cause people apreciate your work, if you're good but you're cheap, well...............you're dumb
When the majority charge 100 bucks for a work and somebody charges only 10, that tells me something is wrong.
A good professional/artist charges how much he thinks his work deserves but oh well, it's not my jem
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Remember an artist charges according to his talent /quality and not according to paint quantity.
If you're good you charge more cause people apreciate your work, if you're good but you're cheap, well...............you're dumb
When the majority charge 100 bucks for a work and somebody charges only 10, that tells me something is wrong.
A good professional/artist charges how much he thinks his work deserves but oh well, it's not my jem
Not entirely correct, I've seen people charge 150 and seen paint jobs worst than my own with spray cans!

Here's one he did for me ages ago

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 09:11 AM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
I mostly would agree, here in the states great work can be found for a resonable price, noticed I did not say cheep!
You honestly get what you pay for, period.
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 09:45 AM

With paint work, you often get what you pay for. $500 doesn't sound that unreasonable, depending on what is being done.

Keep in mind that the most expensive part of a paintjob is the labor involved and the prep work. The final finish is just fancy dressing over all that work. If the guy has to do a jot of work to prep the guitar for paint (i.e. the body is full of chips and dings and needs to be stripped), $500 could be very reasonable. Make sure that you're very up front with what you want the final result to be, because that will impact the amount of work they have to do.
post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 12:43 PM

$500 is very reasonable. Low actually for a quality refin.

But really, leave it be.
post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 01:42 PM

Reviews: 4

ehhh. imho 500 is only worth a darren swirl (he's doing those again btw ). Those guys at the banners on top charge 300$.

Hey, treva, even worse, all the gas stations here have the price to include 9/10 a cent per gallon!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode