Ibanez JEM Forum banner
2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Texter 
#1 ·
i'm getting ready to setup mu UV77 and i want to know what is the lowest possible action that i can get (no i don't want 1/64 at the 24th either ,lol)
i've done setups before but this will be my first Ibanez setup.also what is the least amount of bow a neck on this guitar can have?just wondering about that one.

#6 ·
Realistically, the only way to have a guitar setup with no neck bow is to have the action very high.... it is (assuming you are using 9-54's) not possible to have action of 1mm at the 12th fret without buzz and choking notes at frets 3-7 or so. Lots of people make claims about how low their guitars are setup, but those claims should be taken with a grain of salt because you may find that these guitars in your hands are unplayable.

That said, I've found my UV has the best action of all my guitars (Jem10, 77GMC, UV777BK, JS1000), despite the Jem/UV line sharing essentially the same scale/radius. No two guitars will ever leave the factory the same way, someone with a guitar like yours may have much better or much worse action.. you just don't know til you set it up.

#8 ·
Just finished seting up one of my guitars, and i tried what littlegreenman said he does. i went for an almost dead straight neck and i got it pretty flat 2. after playing with the truss rod for awhile and the bridge saddles i got about 1mm at the 12th fret. i had to raise the action of the high e and b string (had a little buzzing there) and then it was almost perfect! i spend some more time in the morning after work to dail it in real good.

so even with little experience like me (i've only done a few setups before) you can still get very low action.

#9 ·
Straight neck and low action gives compressed action. It's buzzing so much everywhere [unless you have an extremely light right hand] you really don't hear the buzz, but tone suffers. I prefer decent frontbow with relative low action for the best tone with minimal buzz. ;)

#10 ·
As far as I know Jems and UVs are designed for medium to low action and a decent amount of front bow.
This will also result in great definition instead of a muddy mess. I practice setting up my axes a lot and it's the way to get to heaven sooner...
Don't just straighten the neck...I hate it when so-called professional guitar techs do that and expect you to pay for it when you find out that your trem is useless when you pull it up :twisted: Remember: at least a fourth on the G-string...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.