Guitar Technicians/Luthiers In London?????? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Angry Guitar Technicians/Luthiers In London??????

Does anyone know of a RELIABLE, and GOOD guitar tech that will set my guitar up properly for me in the London area??? Someone you may have used yourself that will do a great job of setting everything on my 7VWH???

Anywhere in London or just a bit outside would be fine?? Everyone I go to seems to know nothing about setting up Edge pro trems, and says that fret buzz along a majority of the low E string is relatively normal!!!!!

Why are there so many cowboys out there?

I dont care how much it costs, I just want my guitar to play well!!!

Help Please!!!

Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005, 02:19 PM

Re: Guitar Technicians/Luthiers In London??????

Fret buzz along the low E is normal.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

Are you sure bro???

I swear I have played other Jems where there is no fret buzz at all really??
Maybe its just me??

If so do other people get this??? Please make me feel better!!!

Thanks
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005, 07:18 PM

Some guitars have it and some don't. It doesn't make a difference plugged in and so long as that the buzz is so bad that it kills the note instantly (which is a problem) so that you have no sustain you should be fine. I've never seen an electric guitar with zero fret buzz and I wouldn't mind if I never do, because you can't completely eliminate it. Look at the tech section of this site for info on setup but don't get too worried about it. And STAY AWAY FROM THE TRUSS ROD. This is very risky and should be the last thing to look at doing, definitely not the first. And even then a tech should do that, and unless they're just muppets they'll know about what to do. SHIMMING is a far better option (sticking a small width between the body and the neck). This is perfecty safe. Just take off the neck (safe so long as it isn't impacted when removed) and add the shim. Trial and error should get this near perfect for you. But DON'T WORRY because the set up that suits you best might involve some buzz in some or even most frets. CONCLUSION: If you are getting enough sustain and you're happy with the action then a little fret is completely NORMAL, especially on the low E. Hope that helps!
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

Yeah it did!!!

Thanks alot Tom!!!

I shall now try and sleep [email protected]@!!!
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005, 07:47 PM

Glad to help.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005, 08:13 PM
Vendor

Truss rod?!?! FIRST thing everybody should do is grab their truss wrench and tighten it, loosen it, and OBSERVE what it does to the neck. How are you supposed to set any guitar up or maintain a setup if you're afraid [or somebody tells you not to] play with the truss rod?!?!
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005, 10:18 PM

There's nothing I enjoy more than tweaking my truss rod.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-22-2005, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

So what do you think I should try Rich as I hear you are the man for setups??
Its a brandnew guitar, which has had a setup already, but just a couple of aspects I dont Like?? Eg... the only way I can stop the slight buzz is to take the action Really high?? I have tried lossening my trus rod but doesnt seem to help??

Thanks Mate!
Rob
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-22-2005, 11:36 AM
Vendor

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/action.htm
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-22-2005, 03:01 PM

The truss rod can result in a lot of change in the feel of the neck and can result in some "odd" bending of the wood. Wood is wood. It responds to pressure by moving guaranteed but the movement maybe completly different from what you want and what's worse is that you mightn't be able to get it back the way you had it. That's pretty risky. I jus tlike the feel of my necks and don't want to change that, so for me this is a last resort and only a last resort, because you can do other things to fix it. Rich I'm sure you know that a little turn can make a huge difference. I've friends who have ruined their necks by using the truss rod. Sorry but I don't want that to happen to me.

Last edited by Tom Gilroy; 03-22-2005 at 03:51 PM.
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-22-2005, 03:50 PM

Rich you are confident with your knowledge and that's a good thing as being afraid would stop you getting the setup right. I am impressed and this is really selling the idea of buying from you at Ibanez Rules. I meant that robbiedp mightn't like an adjustment becuase it would change the guitar and he mightn't like it. And I did say "if you're happy with the action". I meant that the action may not need changing. I was just warning him that is risky to over adjust the truss rod if you're not sure what to do.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-22-2005, 04:41 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Gilroy
I've friends who have ruined their necks by using the truss rod. Sorry but I don't want that to happen to me.
Sounds like urban legend. To damage your guitar by adjusting the truss rod you pretty much have to be on the verge of neanderthal, in brain and brawn.

Can't get it back where it was?! Of course you can, and anywhere else you want it. It is part of the adjustment of a guitar, and in the case of neck relief, which is constantly changing, is the very *first* adjustment to make.
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-22-2005, 05:01 PM

Maybe but tell that to a friend of mine. He couldn't get it where he wanted it and the rod caused the neck to twist due to a wood grain abnormality. But you're the tech and I'm just a teenager who has seen a few (and truly only a few) bad results. I'll take your word for it and I accept you know better than me. I'm still not going to experiment with this unless I need to though.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-22-2005, 05:05 PM
Vendor

Technically, that's pretty funny. In other words, he's blaming a bad piece of wood on the truss rod, and spreading the myth.

Tags
edge pro trem , edge pro trems , electric guitar , fret buzz , guitar tech , neck bow , neck relief , rod adjustment , truss rod , truss rod adjustment

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode