Guitar Upgrade?? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Guitar Upgrade??

Alright i would like peoples honest opinions. I do not want to buy a new guitar because i figure why pay for an all new guitar when i can just get new parts for my existing and i have no need for two guitars. I have an RG270dx and i want to upgrade this guitar. Would a better upgrade be getting a higher end neck for it (made in korea now) or buying a new trem system (was thinking Ibanez lo pro)? I would just like to know what everyone thinks would be the better area to put my money at this point in time (most likely do the other a little down the road when i get the money). Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 02:35 PM

Re: Guitar Upgrade??

I think the prevailing wisdom on this website is to save your money and buy a used guitar that is of higher quality, that is the money spent on upgrades would be better spent on an RG5XX series.

As for which you would like to upgrade, it all depends on your goal for the guitar. Keep in mind that upgrading an RG270 will not get you much more money if you decide to sell it later on.
Good luck.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

thank you for your incite. im not planning on selling this guitar and as i said i dont have use for two. also i just bought new pickups for it and i dont want to buy a new guitar and have to pay for all the electronics which i dont need. i just figured upgrading would be better. there is nothign wrong with the body of my current one it sounds great and i have kept it in great condition no dings are nicks at all on it.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 08:17 PM

Reviews: 120

If you like the feel of the neck, don't just upgrade because it's a Korean made one. Upgrade if you know what the Japanese made Wizards feel like, and prefer it to the one you have.

With regards to the trem, save some money and buy a Gotoh licensed Floyd Rose. They are a fantastic trem, come with locking studs that you can install after pulling the old trem studs and anchors out, and have the best trem arm holder design out there. You'll save a bit of cash to doing so.

Oh when installing the trem, whether you go with the Gotoh, or Edge, you will most probably have to do a little hand sanding around the edges of the cavity to fit the trem. It's not hard work though, anyone can do it. A dremmel can make it easier, but don't worry if you don't have one.

When installing new studs and anchors you'll have to drill the hole a little bigger too, shouldn't be too hard if you have some basic woodworking skills though.

Last edited by LonePhantom; 08-20-2008 at 08:22 PM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

alright thanks i will take that into consideration maybe browse around local shops and test out some necks see if i prefer mine or not... and thanks for the options on trems as well i will look into that also.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 10:53 AM

Hi Locrian

You have the right idea... if you like the guitar you currently have why bother with another? Like you say you can upgrade some of the hardware and electronics if you're looking for an improvement.

What trem does the RG270 have? Is it the TRS? Not too bad I'd say but I would agree with LonePhantom's idea... save up for a Floyd Rose and drop that into it.

Not sure if swapping the neck is worth it... there again it's up to you, try some necks first then make a decision.

What pickups do you have for it?

Good luck with your improvements!

'87
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 07:44 PM

Reviews: 120

Also another thing to keep in mind regarding retro-fitting a Japanese neck. The neck screw holes are aligned slightly different so you would need to plug the holes on the neck with some dowel and redrill if you get a Japanese neck.

Also if you were to get a newer Prestige series neck you will need to widen your neck pocket a fraction to fit it on the guitar. The MIJ Prestige Wizards are like a mm wider than the previous MIJ Wizards.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 08:06 PM

So you want to upgrade the electronics, hardware and neck and think that will be cheaper than a new guitar, or you dont want a new guitar so you are considering replacing every part of your guitar a little at a time, Then you will only have one guitar and most of the parts to put together a second guitar, which you dont have a use for?

My head hurts
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

I know it wouldnt be cheaper than just getting a new one but the thing is i like my current body i mean for my taste the tone is fine if i want new paint ill repaint it stuff like that, but i dont have a use for two guitars at the same time.

ok now...

I believe the trem that on it now is the ILT 1 lock ibanez trem. i really would like to upgrade the trem though it does not keep tune very well even with the locking nut locked and everything plus the finish is starting to wear off a little and doesnt look good (i mean the guitar is 6 years old) i dont mind possibly having to so mods for this. does anyone have the dimensions for a lo pro or know where to find them so i can measure up my trem cavity and see what i would need to do?

umm til recently i had the stock pickups which were ok but getting bad so i purchased an air norton for neck, red velvet middle, and steves special for the bridge complete rewire with dimarzio pots and 5 way switch.

i may not do the neck i dont want to go through that hassle maybe i will just get it re-fretted or something like that.

Thanks for all your opinions so far really helping me with my decisions.

oh and i knew i would have spare parts but that didnt bother me would have just kept them who knows when you may need them.

Tags
ibanez trem , prestige wizard , trem studs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode