Guitar won't "tune"? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 12:41 AM Thread Starter

Guitar won't "tune"?

I have a very odd dilemma. My guitar is intonated using the 12th fretted note and 12th fret harmonic for each string. My problem is that when I go to tune the guitar using the 5th fret-open string method, I'm out of tune all over the place (chords sound awful, etc..). If I try tuning using a chord, all other chords are off as well as the 5th fret-open string sites. I also tried tuning ocatves (7th fret, open string, etc..), but still get the same results as every way else. Is it possible that a guitar is not able to tune properly? The guitar is a Jem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 03:08 AM

Re: Guitar won't "tune"?

i always intonate my guitars using the 24th fretted note and comparing it to its open string note's name. if i'm on the E string I fret it at the 24th fret with normal fretting pressure and tune it to pitch with a digital tuner. i think i read this on ibanezrules.com
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 03:11 AM

there is one possible thing that might cause a guitar not to be in tune, probably many things, but what happened to one of my fenders was it fell and landed on the trem bar bending the trem stud holes. the trem was now angled slightly towards the nut on the bass side, and away from the nut on the treble side.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemboyee
I have a very odd dilemma. My guitar is intonated using the 12th fretted note and 12th fret harmonic for each string. My problem is that when I go to tune the guitar using the 5th fret-open string method, I'm out of tune all over the place (chords sound awful, etc..). If I try tuning using a chord, all other chords are off as well as the 5th fret-open string sites. I also tried tuning ocatves (7th fret, open string, etc..), but still get the same results as every way else. Is it possible that a guitar is not able to tune properly? The guitar is a Jem.
Check the trem angle. Is it straight?

Regards

Andrť

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 06:55 AM

i use the 24th note and then a open note to set you intonation...yeah thats wat i do...lol
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. The trem angle is fine and the trem posts are straight. I intonate other guitars with the method I've described, and they're fine. This one has really got me puzzled, sadly.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Re: Guitar won't "tune"?

Has anyone got any other ideas perhaps? Thanks.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 01:48 PM

Action too high that it is causing strings to go off tune when you fret? I can't imagine this to be the case, but heck...

Retrofitted parts (i.e. Edge put in an EdgePro cavity (with routing? - should be obvious))
String gauge too "heavy"?

Measure from nut to saddle, see what the distance is. Should be "about" 25.5 inches. God that's a terrible idea, but hey, you never know.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode