Hard Case Latches broken from case (PICS) - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Hard Case Latches broken from case (PICS)

Hey guys, any ideas on how to fix a hard case whose all 3 latches broke off their places? I'm looking for a pretty DIY cheap, home made way to fix it I'm running out of ideas (ok ok I dont have any ideas!!!)
I have to travel by plane in 2 weeks and I'm taking it with me and as you can imagine this hard case does not close...

Please take a look at the pics

https://www.dropbox.com/s/60zgtjxonv6yy3y/latches.JPG

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ffylo5ogq6xiryb/lthcer2.JPG

All three latches are exactly the same, some idiot jumped on them or something, I dunno, I bought this guitar as is and though the guitar is beautiful, the case has its things...

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 05:07 PM

Re: Hard Case Latches broken from case (PICS)

I don't think it would hold up, but you could glue the plastic parts together using acetone, then use some good straps to keep the case closed. I would buy a new case, if possible. I don't think I would consider that case to be great for protecting an instrument.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Euphor View Post
I don't think it would hold up, but you could glue the plastic parts together using acetone, then use some good straps to keep the case closed. I would buy a new case, if possible. I don't think I would consider that case to be great for protecting an instrument.
I know what you mean sir, but considering my actual financial situation I cannot afford to buy a new case, though your idea seems pretty much what I had in mind...
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 05:12 PM
Vendor

Fixing 3 you're better off buying a case.
If it was just one you pull the case liner, use a metal plate with holes drilled at the rivet spacing. Drill out the rivets and use screws and nuts to bolt it together [leave the plastic in place to position the latch.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 05:23 PM

That should work with all three, shouldn't it? Bigger metal plates, more bolts.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 05:25 PM
Vendor

It'll work, but we're talking about a case better left for trash. If all the latches are broken I'd bet most of the feet are also. And it's not like you can just whip up the metal plates. I had a machine shop make me a stack.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Fixing 3 you're better off buying a case.
If it was just one you pull the case liner, use a metal plate with holes drilled at the rivet spacing. Drill out the rivets and use screws and nuts to bolt it together [leave the plastic in place to position the latch.
That makes perfect sense, though I guess you are right, this case is just not something that I would like to keep, I just need it to get through the plane so I might stick with this solution temporarily, thanks Rick.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 05:30 PM
Vendor

For temp, duct tape.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 11:26 PM

Those are the worst latches. I can see it's SKB but Ibanez used the same for a while. I remember as a kid I bought a 100 Ibanez case for my 375 RFR RG550 and the middle latch broke I was so gutted! It wasn't even from rough wear n tear! Just rubbish. Anyway, either find a cheap deal on Craigslist, or as Rich says try Gaffa tape. Otherwise a good wrapping with clingfilm/plastic wrap would work.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 06:48 AM

I had this same problem and fixed it.

I got a piece of plastic that was about the same thickness as the case.
I made a long rectangle that fit inside the case where the hole is.

I drilled out the two round rivetish looking thinks that are on the butterfly latch that broke off.
This left me with me with two holes that I could bolt through.

I went to the hardware store and got two domed head allen bolts and locknuts just long enough to the latch and the piece of plastic I cut for inside the case.

I put the plastic on the inside of the case between the outer shell and the lining of the case.
You have to peal a short section away, it’s glued in.
Then I put the latch in place where it should be and drilled through the two holes on the butterfly latch.

Then I popped the two bolts through and put the nuts on the inside behind the plastic.
This sand wedged the whole thing together.

Now it works great!

Tags
hardcase

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode