Hard Shell Case Latch Repair - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

Hard Shell Case Latch Repair

Does anyone have any experience fixing latches on a hard shell case? I have a few cases with one (or in some cases two) broken latches. I have a couple generic cases for carrying guitars around, but wanted to fix up the original cases i have if it's doable and not cost prohibitive.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 11:22 PM
Vendor

Re: Hard Shell Case Latch Repair

Yup, had some steel plates made years ago with the holes aligned to the latch. You drill out the rivets and use short screws with nuts on the inside. Pull the foam liner out, put the plate on the inside, latch and ABS piece, screw together, hot glue the liner back in [when using hot glue, make big blobs on the ABS and let cool considerably before you put the liner back in. The heat will melt the foam.]
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2015, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Yup, had some steel plates made years ago with the holes aligned to the latch. You drill out the rivets and use short screws with nuts on the inside. Pull the foam liner out, put the plate on the inside, latch and ABS piece, screw together, hot glue the liner back in [when using hot glue, make big blobs on the ABS and let cool considerably before you put the liner back in. The heat will melt the foam.]
Nice one
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2015, 07:09 AM Thread Starter

thanks. As you can see from the pictures though i'm missing the latch itself. Any idea where i can find a good replacement? Also, any tips on where i can find plates like the one you're describing?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2015, 01:46 PM
Vendor

If you're missing the latch I got nothing for you. Buy another case.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Well thanks anyway. I did come across these...
http://www.reliablehardware.com/smalltwistlatches.aspx

I may take some measurements and see if i can make something like this work. I was hoping someone else had tried.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 09:20 PM

There is a guy on ebay who sells the exact same size butterfly latches as on the old cases. Search "ATA butterfly latch." They are not finished like the originals, but they work. I had a case missing two latches. What I did was cut some aluminum rectangles (two for each latch), drill two holes in each, sandwich the case plastic, and rivet them in place. Positioning the backer plate was a pain, but I used some blue tape to hang it and some epoxy to set it. Then I drilled holes for the latches and riveted them in place. It aint pretty but it works well. I think I have about $8 in fixing it.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 09:22 PM

Hope that helps!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! Happen to have a larger picture? That one is really small and i'd like to have a better look.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 10:33 PM

Here ya go!

I think you could easily paint the plates and exterior of the latch black and the fix would disappear, I was just lazy and happy it worked. Again it isn't the prettiest solution, but I guarantee that it is stronger than a latch rivet through 25 year old plastic!

Edit: Now that I am thinking about this, I think I did epoxy both plates in place. I did that so that wouldn't move around when I drilled the rivet holes.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Mike!

Here are the latches i'm looking at..
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Small-Surfac...item256f3830a2

Assuming these are the right ones, how did you attach the latch to the front piece of metal. I guess what i was wondering is i could get away with only a piece on the inside and either screw or rivit into that from the butterfly latch like Rich was describing. It looks like with your approach the front piece is required? How did you attach the latch to it?
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-01-2015, 04:27 PM

Those look like the ones I got, I think that is the same seller too. My thought on the two pieces of metal was that the plastic was brittle, so may as well make a metal sandwich epoxied together for strength and so it doesn't break again. I used rivets to attach the latch. You could do like you are thinking and only use a backing plate. You could even tap the holes in the backer plate and use an 8-32 screw, then no nut on the screw would be needed. I didn't have to take the case foam out, I just pried the case back a little, BTW.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-08-2015, 05:31 PM

SKB sells replacement latches for their cases, which any good company should. They are most likely very similar to what are on most other cases.

http://store.skbcases.com/keys-latches/

I replaced latches on several cases that came with Japanese made guitars, ( Ibanez, Greco, FGN), for $8.00 per latch. In several instances, I actually went ahead and replaces all 3 latches on a case so I didn't have to do it again later.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-08-2015, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by merman_93 View Post
SKB sells replacement latches for their cases, which any good company should. They are most likely very similar to what are on most other cases.

http://store.skbcases.com/keys-latches/

I replaced latches on several cases that came with Japanese made guitars, ( Ibanez, Greco, FGN), for $8.00 per latch. In several instances, I actually went ahead and replaces all 3 latches on a case so I didn't have to do it again later.
Thanks. Per Fat.Mike's suggestion I bought a latch from ebay; it only cost $2.50 and is just like the original (except the finish is a little different).
Anyway, i installed it this weekend and it's working great. I bought 6 more as i have a few more to do and will have a couple extras just in case.

[IMG][/IMG]
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-08-2015, 08:16 PM

Looks good. I always prefer to "save a case" when I can.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode