Hartke repeat repairs, power output HELP!!!!!! - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-05-2004, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

Hartke repeat repairs, power output HELP!!!!!!

here's the quick and dirty..I bought a used Hartke 3500 on ebay. I received it, played it for a few hours. I took it to practice, and played a little longer, and the output section blew. I emailed the previous owner, he says "I had that same part just replaced before I sold it". No warranty. So I get it repaired at an authorized dealer. After $250 later, the amp only lasts one song and blows again.
It's back in the shop, and Im gonna get charged for parts again.
The repair guy thinks it's my 2 cabs blowing the amp. They are BRAND NEW SWR Workingman's 2x10 and a 4x10. He connected the 2 cabs together and put a multimeter on the output of one of the cabs and it reads 2.6 ohms, so he says that the amp is only rated for 4 ohms, thats why it's blowing.

Am I right in suspecting that he's wrong, is overlooking another problem in the electronics, and the head is gonna blow again even if I only play thru my 4x10 without the other cab?

HELP!!!!! Please...I'm gonna end up spending $600 on a $400 head
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-07-2004, 12:42 PM

The Ohms reading 2.6 ohms could deffinately lead to the problems you describe. You could buy a new cabinet(s) or you could get a tech to replace the output transformer with a custom one and tap it to 2.6 ohms. Either way it could be expensive.

Without seeing I can't say anything because I can't measure the component values or check wiring. There could well be a wiring fault I would take it too an amp 'god' He would be able to figure it out for sure.

I will be making an all tube amp when I get the parts ready so I will probably see all of these problems!!!!!

Good luck
Freak
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-07-2004, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

SWR tells me that since the guy is measuring the cabs with a digital multimeter, he's using DC voltage, and speaker impedence is measured in AC voltage, so they say he doesnt know what he's doing.
SWR tells me that the 2.6 value is perfectly normal and acceptable, and my problem lies elsewhere.

Ho hummm
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 12:07 PM

Reviews: 1
Swr is right, sort of...
You can easily determine what your impedance is by pulling the back and seeing how the cab is wired. I blew my output X-former that exact way, my cabs have 2 16 Ohm speakers and 2 8 Ohms, I wired em up in parallel which works out to 2.66 Ohms. As soon as I started pushing the amp for a couple hours the amp started sounding odd. After checking out the output section, I realized that I blew my output transformer.

35 bux later ( direct from Boogie) I was back up and running. I knew the dangers, but I thought the transformer would've handled it.

Fix your cab wiring to fit either 4 ohms or whatever, just do NOT drop below the rating, it will cook your goodies at high volumes.

Bamm

Tags
ohm speaker , ohm speakers , tube amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode