Has anyone ever refinished maple over those inlay stickers? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 01:27 AM Thread Starter

Has anyone refinished maple over those inlay stickers?

I'm considering picking up the tree of life stickers for a maple fingerboard guitar of mine, and really considering stripping the finish off the board, applying the stickers, and recoating with varnish/laquer.

Has anyone done this, and can offer some advice?

Last edited by -BL1ZZ4RD-; 01-09-2015 at 01:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 08:08 AM

Re: Has anyone ever refinished maple over those inlay stickers?

personally I wouldn't do a clear coat over stickers on a neck. I have done it on F hole stickers on a guitar body though. Are you expecting the stickers to be totally flush after the recoat? b/c that won't happen. I coated the body I did with 3 or 4 cans of clear and it still wasn't flush... close, though. And these stickers were 1/2000th of an inch thick. IMO just put the stickers on the board and that's it. Refinishing over them is opening a whole new can of worms. I have decal fret markers on a few guitars and they don't bother my fingers or anything.

Last edited by GUITARMAGEDDON; 01-09-2015 at 08:42 AM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 08:06 AM

I would advise against clearing over the stickers. There's no problems with the stickers reacting with the lacquer. The troubles would come in because you would have to use so much clear to make everything flush and level that it would probably start to interfere with the fret installation/dressing. I too have cleared over those stickers on a guitar body but to get everything flush took alot of coats, more than what you would want on a neck.

You best bet is to put them on normally and don't worry about clearing over them. don't worry about them bothering your fingers or interfering with your playing because they won't. I've used a vine & roses inlay sticker similar to the tree of life and I don't even notice them when playing. As far as looks go even being right up on them it's hard to tell they're not real inlays unless you already know they're decals.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

but the guitar has itty bitty vintage fender type frets

i wasnt hoping for the finish to be entirely flush, i was hoping more for of a leading edge, because the frets are so little.

Tags
inlay sticker , tree of life

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode