Has anyone Stripped and Refinished a UV777BK? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Has anyone Stripped and Refinished a UV777BK?

As the title states, Ive got one coming that has some serious scratches on the front. Im generally not worried about stripping a guitar, but these have the binding and the pyramid with the eye. I'm wondering how you work around that if you wanted to respray the black.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 07:14 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: Has anyone Stripped and Refinished a UV777BK?

Stripped- Yes
Refinished- No.

The pyramid inlay is only a sticker that is hair thin. It's glued onto the top of the body. You can't save it. The binding is easy to work with, but it's plastic (abalam). You can't use a liquid stripper because the binding will melt. Sanding is your only real option. The binding will sand exactly the same as the body, so you really don't have to worry any more about it than you do the wood.

post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

Somehow I thought you might be the one to reply...lol. I was hoping to be able to save the pyramid, that is kind of a bummer. What about scuffing the clear and taping off the binding and the pyramid?
post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastmerc View Post
Somehow I thought you might be the one to reply...lol. I was hoping to be able to save the pyramid, that is kind of a bummer. What about scuffing the clear and taping off the binding and the pyramid?
LOL... you know me. More strippers in my garage than Vegas!!!

That could work. Do you have any pics of it's current condition.
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

I don't have it in my possession yet and the pics I got are not very detailed. It may show up and not be as bad as Im expecting. Fingers crossed. I know I will have to reshoot the back, but Im not worried about that part.
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 08:42 PM

Quote:
I don't have it in my possession yet and the pics I got are not very detailed. It may show up and not be as bad as Im expecting. Fingers crossed. I know I will have to reshoot the back, but Im not worried about that part.
Yeah, the back and sides will be a breeze. Honestly, replacing the pyramid wouldn't be very difficult either. You'd just want to take a pic before hand to show the artwork and record measurements.

Edit, make sure you throw up some pics when you do get it.

On a related question- Have you ever stripped a Prestige headstock? I'm trying to figure out if the logo "inlay" is the same deal as the pyramid....... I'm guessing it is.
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

I sure would like to keep it as original as possible though...but yeah if need be. Was tinkering with the idea of going white with it though, kind of make it a reverse.
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 08:46 PM

Quote:
I sure would like to keep it as original as possible though...but yeah if need be. Was tinkering with the idea of going white with it though, kind of make it a reverse.
Screw original!!! there's more than enough black 777's in the world....white would be AWESOME!!! even without the pyramid. I can see the white body with pearl binding...... hell yeah!!
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 08:48 PM

OK,,,, SERIOUSLY....Now I'm Gassing!!

You HAVE to do it in white!!! I wish I'd kept mine around to do the same.
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

lol...Ryc...lol
post #11 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Well see how bad the top is when I get it....that will pretty much determine the extent of the project.
post #12 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Well see how bad the top is when I get it....that will pretty much determine the extent of the project.
Fair enough....but if you don't build it- I will!!
post #13 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-25-2015, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

Ryc do you know where to get matching binding for those, There is about a two inch section that really needs replacing. Otherwise the refin will just have to have the binding painted over.
post #14 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-25-2015, 11:30 AM

Stewmac used to have it, but I don't see it listed anymore. The original is black-white-black-pearloid, IIRC. I would call them to see if any is still available.

As far as working with the binding, It's easier to replace all of it than it is to only do a small section. If the area your talking about isn't horrible a patch may be possible without pulling out the original....... do you have a pic of the bad spot?
post #15 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-25-2015, 11:32 AM

Reviews: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
Stripped- Yes
Refinished- No.

The pyramid inlay is only a sticker that is hair thin. It's glued onto the top of the body. You can't save it. The binding is easy to work with, but it's plastic (abalam). You can't use a liquid stripper because the binding will melt. Sanding is your only real option. The binding will sand exactly the same as the body, so you really don't have to worry any more about it than you do the wood.

they should make a uv777 just like that one right there...very cool...d.m.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode