Has anyone tried 3M clear bra film to protect their guitar? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

Has anyone tried 3M clear bra film to protect their guitar?

Like the title says, has anyone tried a clear film product like 3M clear bra (the kind you use on the front of your car) to protect the pickguard area of their guitars?

I'm just wondering if its a viable solution to use with a guitar that has no pickguard, to protect the finish from scratches.

Would it deaden the tone of the wood?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 11:29 PM

Re: Has anyone tried 3M clear bra film to protect their guitar?

IMO If you're worried about the wood getting scratched, but for some reason ARENT worried about a pickguard getting scratched, you're doing things wrong.

You want to baby it? Leave it in the case all day.
You want to play it regularly? Just take good care of it. If its still getting totally scratched up then your technique is bad.
You want to thrash on it? THen who cares about the finish?
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 11:29 PM

Go get a fork from your kitchen. Now smack that guitar with the fork handle. Then stab it with the forks. There... it's done...now you can concentrate on making music.
S540Sabre likes this.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 12:35 AM

Reviews: 25

See my review on Dunlop guitar clean and polish spray.. after each play, spray and wipe then buff for a nice shine and clear protective layer...
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 12:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarBizarre View Post
IMO If you're worried about the wood getting scratched, but for some reason ARENT worried about a pickguard getting scratched,
Ummm.... what am I missing here?

From Wikipedia
Quote:
"Typical guitar pickguard (Fender-style) and everything needed for installation. Note drilled mounting holes, a pack of screws and a screwdriverA pickguard (also known as scratchplate or golpeador in Flamenco music, and uncommonly, a fingerrest[1]) is a piece of plastic or other laminated material that is placed under the strings on the body of a guitar, mandolin or similar plucked string instrument. The main purpose of the pickguard is to protect the guitar's finish from being scratched by the guitar pick[2]."
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 01:02 AM

i have had one on a Parker fly from a previous owner, worked just fine
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inzane View Post
Ummm.... what am I missing here?

From Wikipedia
Damage is damage. A scratched up pickguard looks only slightly less bad than a scratched up finish, cosmetically, and it has absolutely none of the cool factor you get from a guitar thats obviously been played a lot.

The only advantage is you can replace a pickguard, and even then, I still think that babying a guitar and being prissy over its cosemtics is the absolute wrong way to go about things. Take care of your guitars, yes, thats fine, but worrying about a few scratches?

Newsflash - things don't stay new forever. Guitars are meant to be played.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 02:07 AM

Reviews: 7

Mylar works can work as a pick guard.
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Hardware...&xst=3&xsr=269

Before anyone flames me, I don't put mylar on my guitars to protect them from scratches, I put them on to preserve signatures (since I play my guitars, I have no "case queens"). I also use some on my classical guitar, since I play flamenco, and if I do too many golpes (slapping the guitar with your finger) I will make a hole in my guitar.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 01:37 AM

He's talking about the pickguard AREA, not protecting an actual pickguard. That's why he wants the 3M material - to cover a non-pickguarded guitar.

Quote:
"I'm just wondering if its a viable solution to use with a guitar that has no pickguard, to protect the finish from scratches."
And if he wants to protect the guitar, that's his deal. Suggesting he smack it with a fork really doesn't answer his question! LOL!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 02:09 AM

Good lord, can any body just answer his question?

Inzane, I doubt anyone has tried it, but you should go for it so long as the adhesive doesn't damage the finish when you try to take it off. Practically, it would not effect your sound.

I personally wouldn't worry about it since I expect guitars to be scratched up. I do have some on my cell phone though
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 07:08 AM

a pickguard is just a silly stupid cover for the eletronix, since on early strats, it was obviously more easy to construct guitars front routed.
Same on the tuss rod cover and pickup rings.
They have no reason of existence.
They are just design flaws.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Thep View Post
Good lord, can any body just answer his question?
Yes....

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Thep View Post
I do have some on my cell phone though
I actually use a cell phone screen protector (cut to fit) on some of my higher-end guitars. I put it where my pinky and ring finger rest, because I anchor my pick hand. It's static cling, easy to remove, highly durable, and not very visible. I'd suggest that route, instead of 3M, or any other adhesive based product. The chemicals in the adhesive can sometimes have a negative effect on some finishes.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 03:40 AM

Lightbulb Re: Has anyone tried 3M clear bra film to protect their guitar?

Taylor and Kling-on make products that work for that. I get where you are coming from, it's easy enough to replace a scratched film material if you don't want to scratch the lacquer (and you really don't have to have scratches in the picking area with flexible pickguard overlays). I have used that type of material on a PRS with a "10 top" for years. If you don't want the guitar to look like crap, it doesn't have to....
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 04:04 AM
Vendor

Wow, necro thread, and look how much has changed. Today you just take it to your local auto customizer and wrap it with PPF, especially of the self healing varieties
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 10:27 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

Tags
pickguard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode