Hate to Ask This: Frett Buzz Question - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

Hate to Ask This: Frett Buzz Question

I know, I hate fret buzz questions too, but this is a first for me: I just got an '04 J-Custom (7-string) and I'm in the process of getting it all set up. I've been setting Ibby's up for 20+ years, so setup is not new to me. However, this problem IS new to me...

At the 1st fret, the low/high B's and E's are fine, no buzzing, and have good clearance between string and fret. However, the A, D, and G strings are too close to the 1st fret... and the D is the worst--practically touching the 1st fret.

I've used my mad graphics skills to help illustrate. The radiuses are exaggerated to help make it obvious...

It *seems* like the locking nut has a flatter radius than the frets/fretboard... but to my knowledge this is a genuine Ibanez locking nut. If this turns out to be the case, how the heck would I fix it? Shimming the nut will do nothing but raise the nut as a whole, and make my outer strings too high.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by webmaestro; 05-07-2013 at 04:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 04:24 PM

Re: Hate to Ask This: Frett Buzz Question

It sounds like your radius is off somewhere.
Either the fret(s) are off, the nut is the wrong radius for the fretboard or the radius of the bridge is not the same as the fretboard or nut.
Do you have anything to check the radius of the bridge, nut, frets and fretboard?
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 05:04 PM

Reviews: 18

Shim the individual saddles like on the JSs.

Jimmy
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 05:34 PM

hey bro, i just PP'd you $75. Dont waste your time, and just take it to a tech

Last edited by Stealthtastic; 05-07-2013 at 05:44 PM.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 06:02 PM

Reviews: 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb4674 View Post

Jimmy
That won't do anything for the first fret, too far away.

Are the shims ok under the locking nut? Maybe they need replacing, the nut could have been clamped down too hard to the neck and flattened out any shims under there. Loosen up the screws that hold the nut in place and check, and replace if necessary.

EDIT, sorry just to clarify, are the notes buzzing on open string notes, or when you fret at the first fret? If they are buzzing on the open strings because they are touching the first fret then yes, check your shims under the nut.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian View Post
It sounds like your radius is off somewhere.
Either the fret(s) are off, the nut is the wrong radius for the fretboard or the radius of the bridge is not the same as the fretboard or nut.
Do you have anything to check the radius of the bridge, nut, frets and fretboard?
I do have radius gauges, but none are 430mm (17"). I've got 16", 18", and 20"... but not 17". I'll get scientific tonight and actually start measuring things, but wanted to bounce the idea off a few people here first. I'll figure it out, I always do

I also have 2 other 7-string ibbys, so I'll try swapping the nuts to see if that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb4674 View Post

Jimmy
Definitely a possibility, and I've heard of people shimming the bridge saddles. It's one of the things I'll check later tonight, but I would think that if the Edge Pro had the wrong radius, I'd have this issue further up the neck--not just on the 1st fret.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthtastic View Post
hey bro, i just PP'd you $75. Dont waste your time, and just take it to a tech
Stealth man, thanks, but you're getting that money refunded This is just normal setup stuff, I do it all the time, and I just have to get the right balance between all these things. May not be anything wrong. Plus, I've not found a tech here yet that I trust with my guitars. The couple I've gone to have seriously disappointed me.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 06:10 PM

Shimming the bridge won't affect the first fret on a guitar, it's too far away to make an impact. Check the locking nut like I suggested.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 06:10 PM

Nooooooooooooooooooo just buy me beer next time im in your desert lands.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
Shimming the bridge won't affect the first fret on a guitar, it's too far away to make an impact. Check the locking nut like I suggested.
This is what I'm inclined to believe. It'll be the 1st thing I check tonight. And yes, they are buzzing open, not when fretted.

I checked under the nut last night, and there was a very thin half-shim on the treble side, but I removed it because the high E was too far from the 1st fret (for my comfort). This is the conundrum: I can shim under the nut... and it will eventually eliminate the buzzing on those center 3 strings, but then my outer strings are too high off the 1st fret.

Last edited by webmaestro; 05-07-2013 at 06:21 PM.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 06:29 PM

I'd try shimming it first though, it might not be as bad as you think.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 06:44 PM

Reviews: 11

Hmm thats an odd problem to have for sure.

Aside from getting a new nut, Im not sure what the "proper" way to fix this would be.

If I were gonna do it, I would shim the nut, then take some small jewelers files and file in the proper radius of the nut, then take some fine (800+ grit) sandpaper and smooth it out really well. This fixes your height problem on all the strings, and potentially allow you to get an optimum setup. The down side, is you will have to go painfully slow, checking and rechecking yourself.

The only reason I wouldn't do that is becuase its a J custom, not some run of the mill guitar, but I cant think of a way to shim just the outside of the nut.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

Okay, problem solved, plays perfect now. Once I got the ruler and feeler gauges out, several things became clear to me. Here's what I did...

1. Gave the neck about .05mm more relief.

Originally, I had the neck set for .20mm of relief. This is how I have my other RG's set up, and it works for those. This neck apparently likes a bit more relief, so I increased it to .25mm. This cleaned up some minor buzzing above the 12th fret (which I didn't mention before).

2. Added .1mm shim to under BOTH sides of the nut.

Turns out, there was only about .50mm distance under low B and high E and top of the 1st fret. I don't need it that low, so I added the thinnest (.10mm) shim under both sides of the nut. This eliminated the buzzing on those inner strings while leaving the height under the outer strings well within my comfort zone.

The top of the locking nut does indeed have a flatter radius than the fretboard/frets. No surprise there. I guess this isn't too uncommon.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 11:29 PM

Yay
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 11:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthtastic View Post
Yay
Told ya not to worry

I enjoy these challenges.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 12:52 AM

Glad the shimming worked out for you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode