Hazy Paint - how to correct - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 01:08 AM Thread Starter

Hazy Paint - how to correct

Edit - Photobucket broke all the links to my pics and despite the 70%+ of remaining free space, will not allow me to upload pics, so I've moved everything to Imgur.

I have always loved these. I scored a used one for a great deal - hardware, neck, and body were in excellent shape, but the finish was incredibly rough. After some research, I discovered that I could treat it as any automotive grade finish, but had to move cautiously due to not having a paint depth tool, so the thickness of the clear coat was in question. Here are the before and after pics.

Notice the dull reflectivity of the lightsources - these should be deep, glossy, and sharply defined. There was also some UV damage, where a yellowed sheen was apparent (in person - hard to photograph this due to the color). These pics are unedited - no filtering.

Process: Wet sand 1500-2000 > Wool pad + Meg's Ultimate Compound > Softer Wool pad + Meg's Ultimate compound > Orange pad + Meg's Ultimate Polish > White pad + Wolfgang TSR > Black pad + Wolfgang Finishing Glaze > Meg's Ultimate wax = not perfect, but....as the upper layer of the old clear was removed, this gorgeous metallic red/pink color became apparent. I was not expecting to keep this color, but having seen it, my plan to refinish it to a Desert Sun Yellow + Gold Pearl finish has been staved off.

I've got a bit of a crush on these pickups at the moment - Dimarzio Gravity Storms - never loved Dimarzio before and took a risk. Very organic with thick and chewy midrange and classic strat tones while split - no artificial midrange/****ed wah tones. Middle pickup is a BK 63 wearing an IBZ cover (which has had the printing buffed off).

Last edited by Michael Bolton; 07-10-2016 at 04:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 10:39 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Re: Hazy Paint - how to correct

look in the covers/cavity where some original paint might be seen and determine what was done compared to the rest of the body. The pics are not great... is it faded or is that the flash? Outdoor pics, in shade with no flash would be useful. The clear is quite thick on these so first determine if the damage is in the clear or if something was done deeper.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

There's no flash. Light sources are used as guage to check finish conditions. You should see sharp lines around the light's reflection. These are quite blurry.

You're right about the thickness of the clear. A chip is missing beneath the strap button. Pretty impressive.

If there was a respray on the face of the body, there's no evidence in the cavities. Original felt is there. No tape lines.

I guess could bring it to a bodyshop and have them measure the clear coat's thickness, so I know how much is there to work with.

Also I noticed the front has a bit of pink flake to it, but none on the rear.

Cheers,
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 09:08 AM
site founder 0% owner

we need high quality focused photos in good light to get you better info. It looks like paint degradation from light based on these lo-res photos. For example if hung with light/UV exposure the front has a subtle pink flake whereas the back is preserved.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

I focused the camera on the light source's reflection, so you could see the difference between the dull outlines of the first two shots against the sharper reflections of the last. Here are some new shots.

Last edited by Michael Bolton; 07-11-2016 at 10:30 AM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 01:35 PM
site founder 0% owner

Is there white filler speckles on the actual guitar (last photo) or are these digital artifacts?

Does the very upper horn paint look good?

If so it looks like improper finish coupled with possibly paint (going bad) reaction to light.

It's hard to explain but you will know instantly/visually if it's an Ibanez clearcoat or a "body shop" clearcoat. The Ibanez is thick and glass-like. You see that in person at all angles right? By your judgement is this the factory clear-coat? It seems that it is from the photos (thus not a refinish).

Either way there is little you can do... the paint oddities are below the clearcoat. I'd personally leave it alone... you got a nice MIJ axe at a good deal, why look a gift horse in the mouth... glen
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Hey, Glen -

Thanks for the response. No digital artifacts or filler. I believe these are defects on the surface of the clear. The upper horn looks great and I only see those white specs at a very low angle. I planned on getting this refinished at some point, so I think I can put my auto detail skills to the test.

Meg's Ultimate Compound (orange pad) > Ultimate Polish (white pad) > Menzerna 4500 (black pad) >Ultmate Paste Wax

Or light wet sand followed by above. Either way, will do extremely easy.

Cheers,

Frank
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

OK paint shop says only the face was refinished and clear coat is mainly absent.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 05:57 PM
site founder 0% owner

Makes sense if the white speckles are on top. Just curious what they did to the original clear... sand and paint over it most likely... and if the "respray" can be polished off.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 10:40 AM

I also can't tell from the pics. But I have had 2 mid to late 90s Ibanez that had fogging or "blushing" in which there was a haze beneath the clear coat. I was told (after quite a bit of research) that the only way to fix it was to completely remove the clearcoat and refinish it. That is caused by moisture left in the wood, from wet sanding, or from spraying in humid conditions. Once it's trapped it can't escape. There's a recent thread over on The Gear Page about this problem in a PRS, but others described similar problems in certain models of Epiphone and Gibson:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/ind...#post-22185901

I'm not sure if that's what you have, but you might want to read the suggestions in that thread if it looks familiar.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the suggestions and wisdom, my friends. I pulled out my car detailing rig, took a risk, and pretended it was my car.

Wool pad + Ultimate Compound > Softer Wool pad + Ultimate compound > Orange pad + Ultimate Polish > White pad + Wolfgang TSR > Black pad + Wolfgang Finishing Glaze > Ultimate wax = not perfect, but....I'm very happy. Clarity is now 90 - 100/100, so I'm going stop at this point and just enjoy this great axe. Now I get to become familiar with chasing the bridge while tuning new strings lol.

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 09:08 AM
site founder 0% owner

are you happy with the results. you see it in person so your mind fills in the blanks missing in the photos we are only seeing. enjoy!
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

I really am, man! Now I have to work on finding the perfect bridge pickup lol.

Edit: Gravity Storm = HEAVEN.

Last edited by Michael Bolton; 07-03-2016 at 12:00 PM.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

Decided to level and correct the paint on my Warmoth Tele, Ms Nesbit. Came out incredibly well. Thinking about offering this as a service.

Tele:

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 05:58 PM
site founder 0% owner

nicely done!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode