Headless conversion - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Headless conversion

Hey guys,

I like the idea of having a travel guitar but nothing offered has the kind of neck and trem I want. I checked out a Steinberger spirit last year but the thing was such a piece of junk...pathetic really.

I'd like to find a beat up Prestige and convert it so I can have a good neck and trem. The first step would be to cut the body down and hopefully end up with something that doesn't look too stupid. The other bit would be to cut the headstock. I can't think of any way to make a steinberger type cap work because the tuners on the bridge don't have enough travel.

I have two ideas and would like your thoughts.

1) The G B E tuners could be moved to mirror the E A D tuners. This is the easiest and would cut a few inches off the overall length of the headstock.

2) Machining a block or plate of steel with supporting hardware to allow enough tuning on the headstock. I have to make a threaded sleeve that would pull the ball end of the string tight. I'd retain the locking nut, too. Sounds complicated but shouldn't be that bad. It would certainly be a lot more work than option one but would allow about an inch more to be taken off the length of the headstock.

I really don't mind cutting up a guitar to do this. Used Prestiges are a dime a dozen, but I wouldn't use my favorite.

Anyone ever try something like this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 07:07 PM

Re: Headless conversion

I've never seen a Steinberger Spirit in person but can't imagine it being more of a peice of junk than a chopped up Prestige.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 08:37 PM

Too much trouble for too little benefit, in my opinion. Any so-called "travel" item, whether a guitar or a tiny bar of soap, is a compromise. With guitars, you trade playability for portability.

Peace

Mike
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 09:21 PM

Spirit is the cheap Steinberger. Have you tried a "real" Steinberger? They are not that easy to find, but at least they are not junk.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikey Mikey View Post
Any so-called "travel" item, whether a guitar or a tiny bar of soap, is a compromise. With guitars, you trade playability for portability.
lol...so true.

Well, it's a thought but nothing I'm losing sleep over. It certainly wouldn't be my main axe.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 05:53 PM

Reviews: 34

You could always buy something with the Floyd Rose speed loader system and just saw the head off.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode