Is the height of my trem bar correct? - Page 3 - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-30-2021, 06:32 PM

Re: Is the height of my trem bar correct?

Yeah I have had a bridge pop off before. I Do it once in a while though to clean everything. I am probably pretty weird when it comes to keeping the crevasses clean lol. I just bought that ibanez tool a month ago, I have not used it yet, but I had an amazon gift card... figured I'd give it a try.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-30-2021, 06:40 PM
Vendor

Always block at the highest angle, the bridge will never blow off. Have one crack the clear on the cavity of a DNA and you'll learn too. And I've never or will ever change one string at a time, it takes longer and at some point you're going to have to learn to pull them all or you'll never be able to clean the fretboard.
Rich is online  
post #33 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-30-2021, 07:07 PM

Right well, with a trem stopper, all I would need to do is wind the stopper set screw in place, remove the springs... remove the strings, pop the bridge out, clean the fret board... put the bridge back in. Then use one spring, install the strings, pop the other one or two springs in. Tune it, wind the stopper out, and I am back to normal. Or for just cleaning the borad without removing the strings just remove the springs, set the bridge aside and clean the board. Put the bridge back in and put the springs back in. And then you're back to normal. Of course you know all this, But there are other ways of doing the same thing. Honestly...for cleaning, I should probably just start doing the second description. xD
post #34 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-30-2021, 07:18 PM
Vendor

And the least amount of steps would just be to block the bridge at maximum angle and pull the strings [I always pull the string retainer bar]. Do whatever you want, clean, polish, oil, maintain, tighten tuners, etc, then put the new strings on and tune. Of course knowing about how much tension to put on each string to keep them all sharp to make sure you detune into tune takes some practice. Tune up to tune too much and you know you'll end up in runaway spring shock, which is a whole other tech page.

Last edited by Rich; 01-30-2021 at 07:28 PM.
Rich is online  
post #35 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-30-2021, 07:26 PM

Yeah I getcha. I know you know your stuff. These are just methods I have come up with on my own... given what I knew. before my JS I never had a floating trem, only a dive only floyd setup. I had to figure things out on my own before finding this forum. I found this forum and your website when I put together a parts Ibanez! I am thankful for that. I am a road mechanic, sometimes you just make do with what you have around you lol. I do admit my way takes much less experience, it's more steps for sure.
post #36 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-30-2021, 07:32 PM
Vendor

There is no right and wrong, there is only easier and safer, all of which could be argued. I taught myself, and retaught, and changed, and found easier ways, sometimes easier leaves it more prone to accidents, sometimes it's just easier. It's just lots of experience. There are at least 4 ways I fix loose body anchors, none of which they'll teach you in "luthier school" where they want you to plug, dowel, and mickey mouse ears. IMO all just to pad the bottom line and make a 1/2 hour job into a 3 hour job. I prefer much less invasive techniques where you can't even tell it was done now.
Rich is online  
post #37 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-30-2021, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I haven't used an intonation tool in 20 years, a turbo winder is your best friend and far faster. Even faster if you just set the E and D and know where the rest are going to naturally fall depending on which bridge it is.

They sell wood blocks for $10 when you can roll up cardboard for free?

I will still never, ever, block a floater level and pull the strings. The trem will blow off the studs with the slightest jolt, or if well lubed, just by looking at it wrong.
so what about that tremblock device, what's wrong using that to block the bridge and change the strings? A lot of people use that to change strings. I've watched videos of people doing that without any issues.

I'm going to ship my guitar for sustainer install. They will probably have to remove all the strings and will remain like that during the installation until they restring it. I doubt they could do this sustainer install without removing all the strings as the electronics are behind the pickguard.

If they remove all the strings, this is going to mess up the trem angle. I was thinking of putting something like a wedge in between the block and shipping the guitar like that. Is this a bad idea? Would this mess up the bridge?

I'll probably have to get another setup or readjust it everything myself after the sustainer install if I just ship it without anything
post #38 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-30-2021, 07:41 PM

Honestly chances are they will have the skills needed to return your guitar to you with it set up properly. I don't think you should be too concerned about it. Though they will likely just remove the bridge with the strings still attached, then put the bridge back in and put the springs back on.
post #39 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-30-2021, 07:47 PM
Vendor

Quote:

I will still never, ever, block a floater level and pull the strings. The trem will blow off the studs with the slightest jolt, or if well lubed, just by looking at it wrong.
Answered

Quote:
Originally Posted by JsXLine6 View Post
Honestly chances are they will have the skills needed to return your guitar to you with it set up properly. I don't think you should be too concerned about it. Though they will likely just remove the bridge with the strings still attached, then put the bridge back in and put the springs back on.
Chances are they won't, but he should know how to reset it by now so what does it matter. He's paying for a sustainer install, not a setup. But if they know what they're doing they'll just pull the bridge with the strings on and do the work, then put the bridge back on and everything is as it was.
Rich is online  
post #40 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-30-2021, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Suspended

Quote:
Answered

Chances are they won't, but he should know how to reset it by now so what does it matter. He's paying for a sustainer install, not a setup. But if they know what they're doing they'll just pull the bridge with the strings on and do the work, then put the bridge back on and everything is as it was.
What about the shred tremblock that a lot of people use to block the trem and change the strings? Is this useless, risky, dangerous?

I would just change the one string at a time, I have all the time in the world.
post #41 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-30-2021, 08:10 PM

Quote:
They sell wood blocks for $10 when you can roll up cardboard for free?
He answered you earlier. Find some and roll it up to fit the space.
post #42 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-30-2021, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by JsXLine6 View Post
He answered you earlier. Find some and roll it up to fit the space.
wouldn't that be the same lol tremblock has good reviews and I haven't read anything about the bridge snapping or something
post #43 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-30-2021, 08:30 PM

Dude come on lol the difference is cardboard is free! You have to have some around for some reason. Instead of buying something use something you already have around. If you want to buy them go ahead. It's not like they're expensive.
post #44 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-30-2021, 09:14 PM
Vendor

Useless, and worst case the angle they create in the trem pushes them out from under and lets the trem fall down. I had one 10 years ago and threw it away.

I use 2 cardboard rolls [not round, oblong], one fat one that easily slips into the cutout with the trem bar pulled up from the back, and one thinner one to wedge it to it's maximum angle. $0.00. Never failed on me yet.
Rich is online  
post #45 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-30-2021, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Suspended

Quote:
Useless, and worst case the angle they create in the trem pushes them out from under and lets the trem fall down. I had one 10 years ago and threw it away.

I use 2 cardboard rolls [not round, oblong], one fat one that easily slips into the cutout with the trem bar pulled up from the back, and one thinner one to wedge it to it's maximum angle. $0.00. Never failed on me yet.
so basically you don't want to block the trem when is level like for example if I have it set where the knife edges are perpendicular to the posts, I don't want to block the trem in that position?

but rather block with something that puts the trem more forward or more negative? then change the strings, remove the block and the trem will magically return to its previous position?

I don't understand this very well

what about those wedges though that you can stick in between the block and body, if is big enough, it will move the trem negative, no?

https://skyscraperguitars.com/store#...egory=25043259

is it the big hole that needs to be blocked or the small hole

how could cardboard be strong enough to prevent the bridge angle from changing

Last edited by Fowleri; 01-30-2021 at 11:39 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode