Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Help!! - ...can't tune down half-step

4K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Fabe 
#1 ·
Hey!

I don't know, either I'm too stupid to tune my guitar or the guitar gods don't want me to tune my trusted JEM one half step down. Anyway, I'm meeting some guys to jam tonight and they said, they play their stuff one half step down. I tried to tune my FP and every time I tune it down, I can't get a descent tuning. I just recently had my guitar at the shop to have it readjusted, so that the strings wouldn't be too far away from the neck. Is it possible that that's the problem? Because it is adjusted so that the strings would be at perfect height in regular tuning? Please help me. The thing is, I have an RG with an old Edge Tremolo and it works fine with that. But I just can't get it to work with the Lo-Pro Edge. Anyone?

Fabe

#2 ·
Help!!

try this:

- get a thicker gauge strings set (ex: .10/.52)
- give the springs claw's screws (those two big screws that fasten the plate which holds the tremolo springs, into the tremolo cavity) a half turn anti-clockwise (loosen)
- tune to desired pitch

height-wise, i don't think strings height will change much from E-tuning to a half step down...
be aware and good luck!

nuno

#3 ·
Help!!

Do what nuno said, note the current level (in standard tuning) that the trem is sitting at. detune and play around with the springs in the trem cavity untill it sits at the same level.

Other thing to try is this:

block the trem with a piece of wood/anything so that when you loosen the strings (ie detune) that the trem stays level. Then once you've tuned the guitar, tighten the screws untill you can remove the block of wood easily (ie, at this point the trem will be at the same level as it was before, thus leaving you with the same(ish) string clearance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.