help with ibanez rg2570 - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

help with ibanez rg2570

hi i just got a ibanez rg2570z and i noticed the there is a slight fret buzz. the action on the guitar seems be be setup correctly and the distance on the 14th fret is on low e string is around 2.5mm. but when the guitar is played there is a slight buzz which i think is affecting the sound of the guitar. my question is when the ibanez prestige model are setup correctly should it produce fret buzz? i checked the neck of the guitar and the neck seems straight. any suggestion ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 10:11 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: help with ibanez rg2570

does it buzz on open notes, fretted notes, or both? Which string(s) are buzzing? Is the buzzing loud and killing notes, or barely audible? If you listen closely, can you tell where the buzz is coming from.......i.e. 2nd fret, 9th fret....etc.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 11:53 PM

If it's not buzzing when you plug it in, don't worry about it.

Sometimes it might be you picking too hard and not realizing it.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 02:34 AM Thread Starter

It pretty much buzzes all over the frets when played
or plucked hard. when the distortion is on you cant really tell but when im playing it through a clean channel and if i play it hard you can slightly notice the buzz coming through the amp.. does a ibanez buzz after a proper setup?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 02:38 AM

I don't think anything should buzz when it's set up properly.
good place to start:
http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/action.htm
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

i properly checked the guitar and found that the machine washers were a bit loose so i tighten then and its ok now. but one more question does using gauge 10 stings cause more fret ware ?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 07:58 PM
mpr

Machine washers?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 08:14 PM

Reviews: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpr View Post
Machine washers?
I think he means the Gotoh ones at the end of the headstock... not the Kenmore ones at the end of the kitchen.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwd0120 View Post
I think he means the Gotoh ones at the end of the headstock... not the Kenmore ones at the end of the kitchen.
Always partial to Whirlpool myself...

To the OP: You said the neck was 'straight', by that do you mean 'perfectly' straight?

If it is, this is wrong. The neck should have a slight bow forward, this helps reduce buzzing at the lower frets and gives a more consistent feel to the strings as well.

Check ibanezrules.com tech pages for an excellent tutorial on proper setup.

I prefer a slightly higher action than Rich does, and usually go with about a .4 mm relief and about or 2.8 mm at the 24th fret (on a 6 string), but that's just personal taste. I know a lot of guys that like to go much lower, or they simply go as low as they can without excessive string buzz.

Yes, all guitars can buzz depending on setup, fret wear and your technique, but excessive buzzing shouldn't ever happen. If it is, you most likely either have a back bowed, or too straight neck, or you need a fret level/job.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 09:23 PM

You will have more fret wear. In fact your fret wear down 4x faster. In other words, you'll have to recrown once every 2-3 years and refret every 300 years.

that's how much you'll wear down your frets.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 09:48 PM

300 years? Wow, what are those frets made of? Diamonds?

My RG550 is 22 years old, it's never had a re-fret nor even a level/crown. I prefer higher action and so far I've been able to live with the little bit of buzz, but the uneven wear of the frets is starting to make it feel just 'strange', and while the intonation is 'okay', with proper crowning it could be better.

If I level the frets, I'll have to take quite a bit off the top to get them all properly leveled, and since I don't like low, or even medium frets I'll have to get a re-fret soon.

While the taller frets that most people seem to prefer these days give you more 'meat' to file them level while keeping them fairly tall over many years, you'll still have to get a re-fret eventually, especially on a guitar that is played a lot, and/or if you're an aggressive, heavy handed player that likes thick strings.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 09:51 PM

I have a 40 year old guitar at home, and i still haven't had to recrown it.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlanK View Post
I have a 40 year old guitar at home, and i still haven't had to recrown it.
Did you gig with it several nights a week? Was it your main guitar for 20+ years?

Every gig, every rehearsal, every time you just sat and practiced alone?

My stepfather's cousin has a 57 Stratocaster that still has the original, tiny frets on it as well, but he only plays it once in a blue moon.

Everyone will have a different experience based on how they play, and how often they play any particular guitar.

Frets wear, that's a fact, how fast they wear depends on you... if you owned the guitar I was talking about in my last post its frets may still be pristine, and if I owned yours it may need a total re-fret: or not: never can know.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 10:06 PM

Only if i could say for the last 20+ years... haha I was only a fetus about 20 years ago..
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlanK View Post
Only if i could say for the last 20+ years... haha I was only a fetus about 20 years ago..
LOL Okay, so my red guitar is older than you are... and I'm sure you're showing a bit of wear by now too.

https://plus.google.com/photos/10296...CPvm0IeAs7i-aA

That should work, I hope. Not sure what I've shared publicly. Anyway, she's beat up and the neck is well worn from play, but she still sounds awesome and feels like an old friends so she's with me forever.

If I can find my camera I'll take closer pictures of the frets so you can see what I mean about the wear.

Tags
edge zero

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode