Help locating 10mm deep socket for Edge Trem - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Rich
  • 1 Post By Rich

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-06-2020, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Help locating 10mm deep socket for Edge Trem

This one should be easy. One of my Edge trem sockets is loose. Been lucky to never have this issue before.

Appears I need a 10mm deep socket to tighten it up. However I知 having a heck of a time locating one with a thin enough barrel to actually get into the trem cavity. What I知 finding at Home Depot, etc are 10mm deep sockets that have somewhat thick metal casing, too thick to get inserted into the narrow path of the trem cavity.

Any links to online tools that work here?

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-06-2020, 09:24 PM
Vendor

Re: Help locating 10mm deep socket for Edge Trem

https://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/loose_holder.htm
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-06-2020, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Rich. Amazingly I致e never had a this problem on multiple guitars over the years until today.

I went down a rabbit hole with a YouTube video where a guy used a 10mm socket. I later learned that only worked because early models had bigger trem cavity routes, allowing it to fit in there.

I guess tomorrow I知 taking the trem off. The part I知 still learning from reading your description is that the holder itself evidently seems to screw in and out of the holder assembly?
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-07-2020, 12:16 AM
Vendor

Follow the link to pull the trem with strings on.

The holder is loose, not just the nut. Unless both are tight it will just keep getting loose again.
The TPS Report likes this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-07-2020, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Rich thank you! Fixed it hopefully for a long time. Was a bit nerve wracking doing it on my 30th LNG versus an old 550, but it worked perfectly. Was amazed when the guitar was still in perfect tune after getting the bridge back on.

One last one. As I知 looking at an assortment of Edge trem bars, I just notice that some have the nylon bushing rings cut lower and some higher. Since my bar assortment dates back to 1988, wondering when they made the slight shift of the positioning of the two bushings? And which is the newer version, the one with the bushing closer to the bottom point or the one with more distance between the bottom point and first bushing.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-07-2020, 04:24 PM
Vendor

87' should be the last year of the wide spread bushings. LNG's should all have those bars, although there are late 88 LNG's also.
The TPS Report likes this.

Tags
edge trem , socket

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode