Help !! MY ibanez Prestige out of tune everytime i lock the nut - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2015, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Help !! MY ibanez Prestige out of tune everytime i lock the nut

Can anyone tell me how to fix this problem? I tune the string then i lock the nut, but when i check with tuner. Its out of tune.. Help me please
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2015, 11:05 AM
Banned

Re: Help !! MY ibanez Prestige out of tune everytime i lock the nut

Model? photos? Does it have a string retainer at the nut? Maybe its positioned too high, and not assert the required tension downwards? It is a common thing to happen in those cases.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2015, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

Rg 2820 prestige.. '03 i think.. Yes it has string retainer at the nut.. I tried to lower it down.. Until touch the headstock.. It helps but not much.. Still out of tune.. I tried to take out the locking nut and change the plate under locking nut.. Still out of tune everytime i lock the nut
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2015, 01:27 PM

screw the retainer bar down, it is there to put downward pressure on the string so the string makes full contact all the way across the nut surface. If you aren't making full contact then nut pad will push the string down and make it go sharp.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2015, 03:03 PM
Vendor

99% of the time it's pad twist. When you tighten it you're spinning the pad driving the bass side string sharp and the treble side flat. Most noticeable on the wounds where the pad grips them better. Hold the pad with you finger till the bolt starts to make good contact, and snap the wrench to tighten it. The slower you tighten to more the bolt will grab the pads. If you do it quick it will grab much less. You can also leave the bass side string a little flat, treble side a little sharp to compensate.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2015, 03:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolution View Post
Rg 2820 prestige.. '03 i think.. Yes it has string retainer at the nut.. I tried to lower it down.. Until touch the headstock.. It helps but not much.. Still out of tune.. I tried to take out the locking nut and change the plate under locking nut.. Still out of tune everytime i lock the nut
By plate you mean the shim under the nut's base? This is not related to your problem. Whatever your problem is it lies between the nut's top and the pads/clamps. An anomaly on the nut's top might cause this. Does it happen on all strings?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2015, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.arledge View Post
screw the retainer bar down, it is there to put downward pressure on the string so the string makes full contact all the way across the nut surface. If you aren't making full contact then nut pad will push the string down and make it go sharp.
Already did that.. Still same result...anyway its not go sharp.. It go flat for string 1-2
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2015, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
99% of the time it's pad twist. When you tighten it you're spinning the pad driving the bass side string sharp and the treble side flat. Most noticeable on the wounds where the pad grips them better. Hold the pad with you finger till the bolt starts to make good contact, and snap the wrench to tighten it. The slower you tighten to more the bolt will grab the pads. If you do it quick it will grab much less. You can also leave the bass side string a little flat, treble side a little sharp to compensate.
Yes that what i did so far..

But why my j custom doesnt have this problem? Is there anything i can mod so my prestige will be perfect tune like my j custom?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2015, 09:47 PM
Vendor

For whatever reason the e and b usually just go flat, I just always leave them a little sharp. Some bolts bite more, some plating sticks more [softer and thicker], some pads are softer metal, some fit a nut better and spin less, several different countries of manufacture by several different factories, lots of reasons why it happens. I'd never do it on new guitars but you can put a little grease under the bolt to eliminate some of the bite.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2015, 09:56 PM

Quote:
For whatever reason the e and b usually just go flat, I just always leave them a little sharp. Some bolts bite more, some plating sticks more [softer and thicker], some pads are softer metal, some fit a nut better and spin less, several different countries of manufacture by several different factories, lots of reasons why it happens. I'd never do it on new guitars but you can put a little grease under the bolt to eliminate some of the bite.
thanks man, that's also the answer I'm looking for.
from numerous guitars I have, when come to tuning, they're all act funny.
one goes sharp ( way sharp) after locking the nut ,another goes flat, etc... especially on older guitars.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2015, 10:23 PM
Vendor

Don't neglect the obvious high string retainer, but you'll find a spinning pad drives a string far more sharp than a high string retainer.

Easiest process I've found is to push the back of the pad toward the frets while you snug up the bolt, and just as it's starting to snug snap it tight. Then add just a little more turn until torque feels right. But that snap of the wrench doesn't turn the pad if you're pushing the back of the twisting corner, if you do it right. You'll still have to do some fine tuning even if you do it perfect. I half assed wrote about it on my lock down procedure page.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2015, 12:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Thanks rich... Will do
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2015, 12:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoshredder View Post
thanks man, that's also the answer I'm looking for.
from numerous guitars I have, when come to tuning, they're all act funny.
one goes sharp ( way sharp) after locking the nut ,another goes flat, etc... especially on older guitars.
Bro masih ada ibanez yg apa aja skr?
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2015, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolution View Post
Bro masih ada ibanez yg apa aja skr?
too many bro.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode